Question about new board member election and president

The process for filling a vacancy on the Board isn’t defined, thus it falls back to the statutes which indicate that the Board of Directors appoints a replacement. This happened twice in 2020 to fill Marshall then Scott’s seats.

Bylaws amendments were proposed in 2020 that would have among other things forced a snap replacement election, but quorum was insufficient to advance the proposals - which won a majority - so the hole in the bylaws remains.

3 Likes

I mean that just shows they were sworn in that doesn’t show any of the how

The bod member I’m fine without an election but the president seem like a little taking power away from
The people and more so the bod picking someone who they feel will enforce what they say the best! I’ve never heard of an institution that voted on committee leaders but let’s the board appoint the president, literally not a single institution

The President is voted upon with BOD to whom it will be.

It’s all in the verb appoint, implying that those voting on the motion have that power.

Will the president and replacement bod elections be absorbed into this process or do those have to be more toward the normal board elections protocol

The president is an officer selected by the board once a year. BOD elections only happen once a year in the spring. This thread is just for chairs, which are voted on every 6 months.

2 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

The president does not fill the normal role you would expect a president to carry in any other organization. In our structure they are essentially the “buck stops here” person.

They are Not a person with extra powers or controls. All decisions are made by the board as a whole, and this is why we elect them.

I suspect The real reason we have a president is the legal requirement to have an individual as a point of contact for legal and financial issues.

I believe empty positions on the board are either appointed by the board themselves or are left empty if close enough to the next election.

2 Likes

After being observing very closely a former one I’m aware of what they do, or in some cases supposed to do! It’s not a post picture take it as you’re explaining

For your reference

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Bylaws#Article_3_-_Officers

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Bylaws

1 Like

Yea just how when they get voted in by the public the minutes say appointed as well when they first
Get the position, it technically means the board doesn’t have any objections on why they should try to over turn the decision made
By any way or means so they appoint/confirm that person

No I agree with that, but a lackie and a representative of the peoples cummalative vote to carrry out the orders of the board serve 2 differnt groups of people

So now it’s conflicting, does the bod appoint one yearly or are they voted on with the bod elections

Here is a link do when Julie was asking for volunteers

https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/president-job-description/59444

Honestly if you don’t feel like explaining what’s in the link it just derails the conversation cause you have to infer what you mean to say about it

In addition here is a link where @skyspook (on behalf of the BOD) was also asking for volunteers for such positions.

That’s just saying he submit the bod your job application, that’s not a vote, it’s not like the us says hey anybody wanna run submit us your resumes

The bylaws are before you to study. Otherwise we are at an I can explain it to you, but I cannot understand it for you situation.

6 Likes

I’ve read the link, but in a truly democratic process to represent the people, minimize the people the people vote on, and let those few(now fewer) choose anybody that could provide any opposition about topics seems likes shift towards the other type of d government when everyone is so against adding a single person who get voted in
I mean why not let the gov pick 5 speakers of the house and they’ll pick the rest would you agree thatd be a valid democratic representative system