New Laser Cutter

I believe a reserve was added to the auction process.

Excited about the new laserā€¦
Is reading the manuals sufficient, or should I wait to take a class prior to usage?
(I picked up some dual color acrylic for a project and am itching to play)
Thanks!

Youā€™ll need to take the class to use it.

1 Like

Yeah, the videos are quite interesting for it.

Any idea on when that will be?

1 Like

Anyone wanting to use the new laser immediately, contact Luke.

He was helping several members on Saturday. The new one does not appear the accept SVG files and one of the designs developed a few problems in the transition. It is good to learn about the bumps in the road in advance before everybody starts using it.

Oh by the way, the new laser is FAST!

What does it accept?

Thanks. Chris

PDF, AI and DXF among others.

1 Like

Does the new laser also have a rotary attachment?

Yes itā€™s on the shelf, it has a jaw chuck, itā€™s very fancy.

Thatā€™s fantastic, Thanks! Canā€™t wait to try it out.

I canā€™t wait to try the rotary attachment on the new laser! :smiley:

Luke, I am really in desperate need to use this laser or else I will need to pay someone to burn something for me. Is there any way I can get training today or this evening on it?

I would even be willing to pay the $50ā€™s to my teacher for a training class.

Thanks, Matt

@PearceDunlap @lukeiamyourfather

Hello guys,

I asked about lasing silicone rubber last night and it can be done.

However. please see excerpt below from the manual.

Looks like a higher level of cleaning and maint is required to laser rubber due to the dust, and not sure if terrible gas means toxic.

Wanted to get your input on if testing would be possible or if its something that we should just stray away from altogether.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve seen neoprene rubber cut on a laser before and it was really nasty. Let off all kinds of smoke, and the rubber was charred and sticky. Maybe this material is different, but I donā€™t reccomend itā€¦

After checking with Luke, then looking at the MSDS, I used the laser to engrave a linoleum block. Research showed a number of people using lasers to engrave these, and my test worked quite well. This is the traditional material used for ā€˜rubberā€™ stamps and appears to be a better match to the laser then the more modern synthetics that are getting used.

here is a link to some ā€˜lowā€™ odor laserable rubber. they also call a ā€˜noā€™ odor rubber but Iā€™m sure there is still some type of smell.
http://www.laserbits.com/stamp-products/low-odor-laser-rubber.html
http://www.laserbits.com/stamp-products/no-odor-laser-rubber.html

Iā€™ve got a customer sending me some to try so I should have a pretty good idea of how well this stuff works soon. 50 watt ULS laser to work with. the recommended settings from ULS for rubber is
100% power (of 50watt) and 27% speed. Speed will be relative since Iā€™m sure the Thunder is much faster. cheers!

1 Like

What power and speed settings did you use?

I bought a Hackerspace Passport https://www.adafruit.com/products/769 in the last AdaFruit order on the outside chance I get to travel again. Before I make one, does DMS currently have a rubber stamp featuring the logo and name?

Just a heads up for anyone reading this. Most modern linoleum contains chlorine and canā€™t be cut with a laser (it will ruin the machine and your lungs).

Some higher quality linoleum and older linoleum are made with organic materials that can be laser cut. Check the MSDS for the specific product to know for sure.

1 Like

Iā€™m curious to try it but if the mess is as bad as they make it sound then it might not be worthwhile to do lots of it.