Making a linoleum or rubber stamp: Shapeoko2 training?

When you get ready to print let me know. I want to see this. @macapaka just made a 3D printed plate for the letterpress to experiment with. Printmaking is an area that can grow substantially here.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Printmaking on the Letterpress?

I’m sure its probably a simple mistake, but for the record, I’ve never used the shapoko or taken the training. I certainly don’t teach the machine. I do most of my work on the multicam, and help with the testing for it. So if you need help with that, I’d be happy to assist, but i’m not the guy for the shapoko.

1 Like

Sorry, I must have confused the person and talk handle…

@jphelps is who I meant to link to (I think :slight_smile:)

1 Like

I found this at Hobby Lobby and thought I’d ask if you can explain how you “verified via their MSDS that they are safe on our laser.” (Because I understand part of that statement, but don’t know the specifics.)

I like that I can pick these up, and I like the price…so it’s just a matter of learning if the material’s appropriate.

http://www.hobbylobby.com/Art-Supplies/Project-Supplies/Block-Printing/Jack-Richeson-Easy-to-Cut-Mounted-Linoleum/p/SP10015

One advantage I see to the Shapeoko for carving is that a depth could be set and avoid making two passes on the laser.

Here’s a previous explanation:

I found a link online (google) for the speedball linoleum MSDS sheet. Nearly any product manufacturered (or sold?) in the US requires such a document. I can’t find one for the product you specified, so I would suggest sending the company an email

http://www.richesonart.com/contact/contactform.html

The key is if the material is traditionally made linoleum, which is just a product made from flax seed. Look at the MSDS for any material included, paying particular attention to chemical sounding names. The list of hazards can be a good indicator as well.

Thank you for looking that up for me.

http://www.richesonart.com/publications/catalogcomplete2016/index.html

In looking at their current catalog, they have this statement;

That statement makes me think there are at least a few ingredients beyond basic flax seeds, so I would be careful until/unless you can get them to provide an MSDS. This stuff sounds more like the ‘new linoleuum’ that Luke warned about in the above thread.

1 Like

Agreed. I sent them the question. We’ll see. Otherwise I’ll order the Speedball brand and twiddle my thumbs until it arrives.

Info came back as “flexible pvc sketch trim,” so can’t use it.

I’ll order both the laser no odor rubber and the Speedball brand linoleum and let folks know which I enjoy more.

Eventually. As with all making, the ideas can run ahead of the time available.

2 Likes

So you can use it on the Shapeoko in a pinch, just not the lasers.

3 Likes

Sadly, this is not the case. The standard laptop image doesn’t have the necessary drivers installed. @LisaSelk, any chance we could get one or more of the community laptops updated with the missing pieces?

1 Like

Isn’t it the Arduino drivers that are needed? I know we’ve had it installed on previous laptops… If it’s not on the current ones, hopefully Brooks (@bscharff) will give us a thumbs up on adding them… Thx for the head’s up! :smiley:

edit to add: BTW ~ Brooks has already said that Creative Arts can have a laptop to use for the Shapeoko though. I think it’s just on a back burner until the Creative Arts rooms are reorganized - so we know which computers/resources will end up where, etc… :wink: :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve used the tan speedball lino on both the laser and on the Shapeoko. It cut well on the laser although is was a bit smelly (it’s made with linseed oil). It cut well on the Shapeoko too. I tried the gray speedball lino on a Shapeoko and it seemed a bit “melty”. I think it’s safe for the laser too but it’s been awhile since I looked up all of the MSDS’s. I know that the softer materials from speedball are not laser safe as they contain PVC.

The tan stuff is available at most craft and art stores around town. The MSDS’s are available online or you can email speedball.

3 Likes

I would love to learn how to do a rubber stamp or something that
I can use to stamp my logo on paper boxes,

Exactly! I thought of your logo @Cairenn_Day when I was designing something for my daughter. I think yours would raster beautifully into a stamp and give you a really nice custom look for your boxes. Maybe even bags and tag cards? Once we know the method is viable, it would be easy to do a couple of sizes.

I’ll pick up an assortment of goodies, play with a couple of them, and then we can meet and work the stamps up. I don’t expect materials to be more than $8 or so for a 5 x 7 stamp. Once you add machine time maybe $5 to $10 depending on the size per stamp.

I mentioned earlier that I like the softness of a linoleum print, but plan to do one of each linoleum and the laser-approved rubber.

My son mentioned he did a rubber stamp that he used with bleach to reverse-print patches as giveaways for a band he was in. (Kid won’t admit it, but he learned that from someone. :wink: ) I’m thinking bleach gel, but then it got me into an idea of bleach printing fabric. So now I have to go remember how to manage a decent tessellation that I can design reverse-print sundresses for my granddaughters. I’m thinking reverse design on a dyed ombre… Dangerous, dangerous place, this Makerspace.

(Hang onto your hat, though. I’m about to go get myself into some DMS trouble…)

1 Like

that sounds great, I have plain Kraft paper boxes and I eventually
want to use muslin bags for jewelry, but the satin ones were cheaper,

I don’t think rubber or similar substances machine well but there are so many substances out there to try …

The CA rule for the shapeoko is nothing involving liquids or hazardous to someones health; seems like all the things being discussed here are fair game if someone wants to try it. That speedball linoleum in particular sounds promising to me.

I’ve not seen anyone clamoring for Shapeoko classes recently but can add a couple (I do a week night and a weekend pair usually) if interest is building.

3 Likes

I need to learn to use it, And I need the computer training so
I can, With my vision problems, I am going to have to learn to let a
computer stand in for my hands and eye s
on a lot of things/ When you can t cut alone a simple lien, its bad, but tech can help