New Calendar and Honorarium process

I thought this is why the board has the ability to dissaprove honorariums.

1 Like

Ugh, I hate that. Make “OK” not OK, & upward the pressure goes. Not every eBay seller, for example, provides a superlative experience (by definition!), & that’s perfectly fine.

1 Like

Bitta – if you’ve been reimbursed for materials as part of the honorarium process, then you can file the Schedule C – sole proprietor/small business. That lets you subtract what you paid from the sum you received. If you got paid via reimbursement, where you submitted a receipt, then you shouldn’t receive a 1099 for that amount.

Actually, having worked in a system with a survey, the problem is that management only wants to see 5’s, and is upset if you get 4’s. Seriously. I don’t think we would misuse the survey system that way here.

1 Like

Re login issues
Turned out my account was disabled. Like resetting password let me go in and view billing etc but coming in fresh I couldn’t even get to billing or the add event screen. So confusing there because seemed like only half worked.

When @AlexRhodes checked my account from the other side it was disabled (I’d had an issue with a card a few months ago and suspect once I updated something remained disabled regardless, just a theory). Anyway, whatever he did to enable again fixed issue.

I really don’t think that’s going to happen at DMS. And if it did, I’d fight it.

Would prefer Alex or someone that knows, respond to the question - How does the system determine that the required three people attended the class to validate payment of honorarium?

I also agree, depending on after class survey results from attendees is doomed to fail from the getgo. People just don’t like surveys, and even a 10% response rate would be considered a success in the real world.

@alexrhodes

4 Likes

Please add the Serger to the list of tools. Thanks.

I’ve added the Serger to the list of tools.

1 Like

The new form now has details at the bottom about submitting the W-9 :heart_eyes:(and thanks for the IRS link to the official form).

What’s the mechanism for submitting the W-9 with the calendar event? All of the “File Upload” buttons say that files uploaded will be listed and available for download on the event page. What am I missing?

DO NOT upload the w-9 part at the top, it puts it on the public calendar event.

At the BOTTOM of the page when you select the honorarium check box an upload button appears down there.

Got it! I didn’t check the box and hence didn’t see the option. This is perfect! Well thought out. Thanks mucho!

2 Likes

Im not naive and neither is the rest of the board, but there needs to be a method to hear about bad classes outside of hearsay. There is no plan to require any sort of response rate, but rest assured if 50% of a class responds poorly there will be hesitation before allowing another class from that instructor, especially for honorarium.

4 Likes

I had two classes this weekend. How do I request the honorarium check be cut for them? They were approved for the honorarium pre-new system.

For the next couple weeks you can submit the stuff for the old classes here https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1HFoGOFsRz4ep9fJP8-4s-fDpmT0hTNeTybJDzoS_rgA/viewform?edit_requested=true.

1 Like

Thanks, Alex. It is appreciated.

1 Like

I can understand the honorarium modifier on the end of that statement, but I can’t agree with “allowing another class from that instructor” part. Who is to say that an instructor can’t teach, irrespective of what the students feel about the quality or presentation of the material?

1 Like

Zack, I think Alex might be talking about classes where the instructor charges a fee directly. Something like the Deidre fraud, where the space was on the hook for thousands because of her fraud.

It’s more of a “Hey, we came to a class to learn about A and it turned into a sales pitch”. Another one that we’d want to know about “I came to learn how to do A but the teacher was obviously not prepared. They just read off a slide deck.” Thats the feed back we want and hopefully the teacher would want as well. We are not saying that a bad review is automatically going to ban a person from teaching.

That situation where a person gets paid for a class as an “instructors fee” will be changing. We don’t have all the details worked out yet, but we are working with the accounting firm and others to figure that out. We will post about that rule change once we have more things ironed out.

1 Like