New Calendar and Honorarium process

Could you explain this a bit more?

Probably, but not sure what part you want explained a bit more? :slight_smile:

What you mean by paid an instructor’s fee? And I guess what the situation is now, and what will be changing?

An instructor can opt to charge a fee outside of the honorarium structure.

1 Like

The honor system.

In case of suspected abuse, DMS does have the option to contact registrants to verify attendance.

Same difference. Past events are still scrubbed.

1 Like

If you mean events that were on the old calendar system, yes.

No, I mean yesterday’s classes.

No, Bill means that events on the new calendar that occurred in the past, even an hour in the past, can’t be accessed anymore - either in the list view or the calendar view. (sorry to put words in your mouth, Bill) :slight_smile:

1 Like

I see one event in July and it was definitely in the past the other day, but now it’s the ONLY event in the past.

Was it because you hadn’t refreshed your screen?

Not seeing how to do this…eludicate?
Here’s what I see.

N/M
Figured out you have to log in to see this.
Is there a way to log in other than “add event”?
Yes, there is. Follow the FREAKIN’ directions.
:blush:

I assume that you’ll solicit membership opinion on this proposed rule change before implementing it?

As an instructor who has charged a nominal fee for classes (and donated the honorariums), I’m interested in how DMS is going to try to insert itself into the charge-for-a-class setup. Approving or denying classes are, of course, wholly within the prerogative of DMS, but I’m a bit concerned about the phrase “working with the accounting firm” as it concerns the fee I charge for a class.

I didn’t think DMS was ever on the hook for monies lost to a fraudster. I suppose that would be a case of caveat emptor, like a booth at a flea market. (e.g. “I’ve got some genuine gold to sell you at below-market prices.”)

The board hired an attorney. The outcome is that we offered the attendees a full reimbursement and we are spending legal fees attempting, unsuccessfully so far, to recoup our losses.

During some time in the past DMS took a cut of instructor fees, so a portion of the money paid for the Deidre class did go to DMS (that policy removed during course of her class series due to administrative overhead)

Having been part the discussions or at least attending sessions on Accounting, Honorariums, Material fees, Instructor fees, etc. The discussions with Accounting firm PSK have to do primarily with IRS issues and various ways DMS can approach this. And how to get things out in a timely manner. The current goal I heard mentioned was on a weekly basis Honorarium checks would be mailed out on Monday’s.

Instructor fees: The Six Sigma issue was a costly mistake - one that will be avoided in the future with a vetting process and other controls so DMS is not liable but more importantly members get what they expect.

New payment systems for collecting fees are going to be implemented after they are examined and how they will be integrated. The details beyond that devolved more into IT speak which pretty much I don’t speak. But as someone on Finance Committee, the current system is a Hydra that evolved over time. However, the folks discussing it were raising many issues and various scenerios. I felt comfortable that our needs will be met. Many sequentially rather than choking to death with too big a bite.

For those at the meeting where we actively discussed using PSK, I think I can say I was the biggest PITA which my questions and comments (based from view of inside of FC). Many many of my concerns are greatly alleviated. I feel confident this will work out.

I honestly think the final system will be greatly superior to what we have now. Will there be some pain? Yes. Will things get resolved? I believe Yes. Instantly? No. Better? Definitely.

I will say, with no humility, DMS IS the best in class - to use industry terms, for Makerspaces and getting better. We will have grown over 400%+ in just two years! We are nearing 1300 members and ZERO EMPLOYEEES - we are doing as volunteers! We are evolving and the system complexity is growing to accommendate our needs.

I’m glad to see the discussion we’re having. Right now our highest priority is getting our taxes properly filed. Our system to meet GAAP standards, a statutory requirement. And keeping current.

In parallel we are upgrading our calendar and honorarium system. They have some bugs to be ironed out. But it is better.

There will be some changes … we are not a small little club anymore … we’re off the porch and acting like the Big Dawgs we are.

Have faith. If things don’t work out, I’ll schedule the torch making and pitch fork sharping class myself.

8 Likes

Could you forward that statement to Alex so he’ll stop calling me “GAAP-Boy”?

1 Like

Actually, only Texas law requires we have a financial statement in conformity to GAAP. No requirement that books be maintained to GAAP, (although going forward I suspect they will be since tax considerations as non-profit aren’t an issue) the financial statement does not even have to be filed, just available.

It will be prepared by end of year by PSK. DMS crossed a threshold this year due to the amount of large donations we received. IRS does not have this GAAP requirement as IRS and GAAP differ in certain areas and the purposes are somewhat different.

When Finance Committee meets please attend and ask your detailed questions. The new Treasurer, Jai, is a CPA Financial. Auditor with one of the big 4 accounting firms. He knows GAAP - my legal training was in IRS tax law/accounting and my training with GAAP was mainly related to knowing how it related to SEC filings. Which is to say: I didn’t work with it.

To me GAAP makes the IRC look sane.

3 Likes