New Calendar and Honorarium process

What does “registered people” mean in this case?
Do they have to be DMS members, even if the class is open to non-members? Or does “registered” have another meaning here?

Same rules as before regarding three folks. If you register, you give email like Eventbrite requires.

I’m just trying to get clear in my mind how this new system is supposed to work.
For any class for which honorarium is requested, people interested in attending are required to sign up ahead of time, & at least three of those people must attend in order for the honorarium to be disbursed. Is that what you’re saying? So that, if by some chance I had a dozen people show up, but none of them had pre-registered, I wouldn’t get the honorarium?

Yeah, I don’t like that either. I’ve always gotten signatures on paper from the attendees, and I figured that counted. Now they have to register online to qualify?

1 Like

That’s particularly risky for classes which are already limited to a very small number of people.

1 Like

I’m not sure how that works. Bit if you get three folks I’m sure thete is a method. Classes without limit wouldn’t require registering.

@AlexRhodes what is the answer at this time? I’ve not heard this scenerio discussed.

There is a pinned topic, I’d suggest the question be raisef there. I know I do like the new system micb much better and any bugs will be worked out.

If what @publius asked is true it sounds like it was intended as a feature rather than a bug.

Best way to setup a private event in the calendar? For example if I have a group which I do not want to have signup for attendance through the calendar, or invitation only. Just put that in the description? Check the “attendees require approval” button?

The main reason we want people to sign up is to follow up.

This way we can try and make sure the space money is spent on quality classes. I would encourage people to pre register for the class, but in the next update we will add a function to allow people to register for a bit of time after the start of the class.

You can set it to have the approval. You can also set the free ticket count to 1 and then sign up for your own class.

Make sure you list in your short and long description that it is a private event.

1 Like

I have just verified that I can register for an event with just a name and an e-mail address.

So when the registration time limit is lifted, an instructor desiring to continue using dead-tree rosters can manually enter the information after the class.

1 Like

Is there any way to see events in the past? There is sometimes useful information posted in the description which would be nice to continue to be able to access afterward.

At a minimum it looks like you can switch from “List View” to “Calendar View” on the top right.

So after we teach a class, how do we go about requesting the honorarium? Do we need to need to email someone, provide our check-in sheet, or do something else?

Also, have we come up with a way to request additional information when someone signs up for a class? For example, my dye sub classes include a t-shirt for the student to decorate. I need to know ahead of time what size they want. Without being able to collect this information through the calendar registration system, and have it provided to me before the class, the new system becomes almost completely unusable for me.

If the event is supposed to be attended by at least three registered people, how is that verified?
If your assumption is that they’ll all answer your questionnaire, I have news for you. The response rate is likely to be more like 10% than 100%.

I’m so sorry “teachers” can no longer run around DMS and ask people to sign a paper so they get free money.a
Not sorry.

So you are calling DMS “teachers” cheaters? All of them? A rather broad brush don’t you think? Or is this just your usual sarcasm?

Just a handful of bad eggs. By no means was I calling anyone out in specific.
I hear of this kind of nonsense happening all the time - it’s really just cheating the system.

TBH, if it were up to me (it’s not and never will be), honorarium payouts would be based on class attendance x class reviews. For example, if you taught a class and 25 people attended and those that filled out the survey rated your class as high-quality ($100), you’d be paid $250. But if the average rating was 50%, you’d only get $125. We really need to reward those teachers that bring high-quality content to DMS.

Random thought… what about a drawing of sorts that happened once a month… if you taught a class and had 50% of surveys filled out, and the average was >90%, you would be entered into the drawing and whoever’s name is drawn gets free membership for 3 months.

1 Like

As long as you can opt out. I teach a fair number of classes, but because of issues with the IRS I don’t ever want to receive any remuneration.

3 Likes

The reason I dislike your proposal is that virtually every survey for any service ever is done this way, and every person you ever talk to B-E-G-S you to “give me a 5” (or whatever the high mark is) with the implied "even if I don’t deserve it since I’ll lose my job if you don’t say “it was the best”. Screw that. Surveys should be meaningful, if given. Instructors should be teaching because THEY care about the satisfaction of their students and/or the teaching job they do, not about trying to bring in another buck. There MUST be a better way to combat suckage in the classroom and milking of the system…