More PCB Router Repair

Continuing the discussion from PCB router repair:

Is this list still outstanding? I can help with 1-4 to get the project moving again.

2 Likes

Yep, still needs to be done

Do we already have the limit switches?

Yes, we have everything including four pin connectors (male/female) to connect all three channels. Just needs someone willing to put it all together.

I have some 3D printed limit switch holders that might work. They are Blue ABS and I’ll drop them off sometime this week.

I think we actually bogged down on a) the case Art wants to use for the electronics and b) he doesn’t want us to drill any holes to mount limit switches :slight_smile:

Something specific I should achieve? Can 3d print almost any case feature.

That will be a challenge. Limit switches are the one thing that really needs to be securely attached; otherwise they might fail to limit.

1 Like

JB Weld? :slight_smile:

Seriously, there might be a way using existing bolts on the unit with some limit switch holder mods.

You could make a holder out of steel or aluminum.

I’ll try to come in tomorrow and take a look.

… and weld it I suppose.

I could make the thing oprate as a system without question, but i require complete control over project, with any/all requirements limiting that control documented/dislosed up front. Ex: We require no changes to hardware. Ok, if such is the case, i need to know it up front so i dont waste a bunch of time working on a limit switxh solution when auch a soln was never acceptable.

If this unit once ran without limit switches, then it xan once again run without them. At most, u need one per axis, and yes i know there are two ends to a linear axis. But there are also tricks that can be employed that allow calibration with NO limit switchea. Its a matter of software slickness, and hardware robustness as to whether it can withstand a slightly abusive endpoint detection method. Id point out here that once an endpoint is known, so is the other. Dont install switches on bith ends unless u wanna look silly.

I am under impression that the thing used to function as is. If this is the case, i advise no hardware changes and lets get the thing into hands of high level HW/SW architect well suited for such a project. Yes it may be possible to kludge toether bits and pieces of the effort taking a tidbit of this expert’s knowledge and then some of another’s. But to make it sing, and u want that pcb mill to sing, u need a confident expert to approach the task, understand all required aspects of the design, thenpropose the optimal solution that fits the set of requirements all the way from input file type to resultant layer copper remainder 1 bit lateral thickness of copper after etch. Further, there needs to be a control panel and test case for a given bit and start point material where this very feature is tested and perhaps optically verified, with results stored and used in order to REALLY get the setup to sing. So i envision the system doing a test run for sys cal with dummy board, then using this result to tune sw params for remaining prints. Yes the result of the test run should be storable, but usable only with that very bit and material. In fact i would think that the sw needs to adjust for changes to the bit. So it alnost even needs on the fly bit parameter control loop.

Initial thoights given nobody ever approachemd me about this milling machine, although this is low to mid complexity item for me professionally. I would like to see the thing work at dms, and may not personally be around dms much longer as my personal life limiting parametera are rapidly changing, thankfully. The project shouldbe a quick one, with interpreation of input file format and on the fly bit adjustment as rate limiting features. Limit switches only installed, and to one side of a linear axis only if the thing is a new idea and has never functioned before.

Up to Art but I’d say thanks but no thanks.

4 Likes

@Russell_Crow is working on the pcb mill. Please coordinate your efforts/plans with him.
Any help to get this project moving towards operation are greatly appreciated!

2 Likes

I didn’t find any limit switches but there were four optical switches OPB816 in the mylar bag with the tinyg. should i be looking somewhere else for limit switches? I could try mounting the optical switches but they will be twice as hard without drilling holes.

Russell said he wanted to use optical switches…

@artg_dms purchased the limit switches. Not sure where he put them, though @jphelps may have them.

I have some limit switches of my own I was using for the mock up 3d printed holders. Could donate or we can get the optical ones I suppose.

I’ll try to make mounts for the optical switches. if that fails for lack of existing holes we might need to fall back to mechanical switches. (which might fail the same way :slight_smile: )

Limit switches are in my storage bin in the galley. Also wire and webbing for the motors. There are connector sets for the motors but not for the switches. I’m ok with a minimum amount of drilling and tapping. Plan ahead and keep cuttings out of the mechanics. The blue box on the bottom will contain the pwr splys, switches, fuses, control brd, etc. Fan will run off 24 vdc sply.

Since we can use mechanical switches and drill a hole or two, i’d really be interested in the holders you’ve printed.

For those who haven’t read the other posts/threads on this topic - a reminder:
1. Mill will be used for making pcb boards only. No carving metal, wood, carbon fiber, plastics, etc.
2. User will supply their own end mills.
3. Training required.

For those who are “chomping at the bit” to make boards on this mill - have you tried the Shapeoko. If not, why not?? One of you have repeatedly asked when the mill will be done and I give you the same answer each time. Turns out you still haven’t tried the Shapeoko. Why not?