PCB router repair

Is there any chance of getting this piece of equipment running? Can someone list sources and the parts we need?How much woudl it cost?

What’s wrong with it?

It was hit by our thief at the same time the stereo microscope was stolen. Seems he had a yen for all the stepper motors.I never got to use it but I wanted to.

I think this thread is the last thread regarding the PCB mill status: PCB Mill Rebuild Progress

@artg_dms and I have been discussing it of late. He’d like limit switches installed and connected along with getting the various boards into a case. Then some testing and a basic operations class being available for the machine.

The shapeoko might meet your PCB making needs. The trick, I’m told, is to mill a pocket in a piece of scrap (MDF) the size of your board so you have very flat space for your board. There’s a half milled board in the scrap pile where it looks like someone was giving that a try.

Well does the thing work or not… One person says its missing motors the other thread seems to suggest its somewhat functional. I have parts to donate but im not currently active on my membership so i cant get in with my fob…

AFAIK It’s not available for use at this time. There’s a number of steps to complete and I believe Art has indicated a class will be needed as well.

Edit: I don’t think any major parts need replacement, steppers, tinyg, spindle, all have been purchased.

2 Likes

Iwas up and actve when This machine was tapped . thought it odd. motors are an odd thing tosteal. Ticked me off some too. Glad it is being repaired.

Yeah and if anyone wants to assist volunteers welcome, as always! Here’s the list of things I think @artg_dms and I have discussed:

1. Design and 3D print (or similar) limit switch mounts
  2. Install limit switches in #1 and wire up
  3. Configure tinyG for limit switches and test
  4. install various components in case using stand offs or similar
  5. Integration test
  6. Create a basic class for this (could copy Shapeoko class PPT and modify I think)
  7. Train and go!

The thief stripped the mechanics for the stepper motors, spindle motor and all of the electronics. I don’t recall the mill being used much before the theft. I have not made this a priority project partly because the shapeoko is available. When the rebuild is completed, the mill will be restricted to milling pcb boards only. There has been discussion on requiring users to supply their own end mills, drills, etc.

OK, then there should be a recommended set of bits for them to purchase…

This one:
https://www.amazon.com/Titanium-Carbide-0-6mm-1-5mm-Engraving-ST0-6-1-5mm-10Ti/dp/B00IY51PHU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1497282759&sr=8-1&keywords=pcb+end+mill

OR this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Autek-Titanium-Carbide-Engraving-J3-3001Tix10/dp/B00HC98K2C/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1497282759&sr=8-5&keywords=pcb+end+mill

AND this one for drilling holes:
https://www.amazon.com/10Pcs-Print-Circuit-Board-Carbide/dp/B00IMXHXGG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1497282759&sr=8-2&keywords=pcb+end+mill

Ihope to be of major use here recovery willing. Iam tryingf to learn a Pcb CAD Program that can output gerber files.
Ever hear of KiKad? It open source and free. Some goodUtube tutorials too!

At this point I am on the side lines cheering them on.