Let’s Get Together

Pandora’s box has been opened

1 Like

I think you can if you do it inside the microwave or coffee maker. Might take a special blowtorch, though.

1 Like

Can we just get a big microwave and stick a small grill in it?

2 Likes

Didn’t somebody else want to have a giant microwave to fracture stainless steel?

Quesadillas with a laser anyone? At my last place we engraved them once while bored.

1 Like

@uglyknees Nicole’s the SME on tortillas, at least!

3 Likes

We had one at the space. It got stored in Hatcher’s Armory for a little while. I think it was loaned and because of space limits, it was taken home. At least that is my understanding. I don’t think it was food reasons because we have ovens and hotplates in the galley.

1 Like

Anyone want to play some games?

I’d say some might. I’m not much for games myself

Aw, c’mon. Red Rover on a concrete surface would be epic!

Two issues. One is that our lease prohibits cooking. And the other is that if your establishment is serving food to people then you must comply with all the building and health code requirements for Food Service Establishments - many of which we don’t meet.

Is there a difference between “serving” and “selling”? I can see the restrictions for “selling” (implies that we are in the food business) but for just serving up family style seems a little too restrictive. Thoughts?

1 Like

Per the City of Carrollton Food Establishment Policy:

I don’t know what the requirements are for a one-time event. I don’t choose to do the research. But it seems fairly obvious (at least to me) that having an ongoing capability would make us a food service establishment.

1 Like

I work at an office in Carrollton. We have a gas grill outside that is for use by any of the companies sharing our building. We most assuredly are not a food establishment.

I cannot think that company BBQs would be illegal, so I doubt a once (or even four times) a year BBQ outside would put us in that category.

3 Likes

Just because you have not been prosecuted doesn’t mean that it’s technically not illegal.
IANAL, but IMO, this is one of those things that only really need to worry about if you’re already on someone’s radar (it’s been stated that DMS is) for other things.

If DMS is going to do a once-a-quarter event, then keeping a grill available at all times doesn’t make a ton of sense. That said, I’m all for having it if we can do so legally.

2 Likes

I keep trying to give away my BBQ Eric, now that I don’t have 80-100 Boy Scouts to cook for anymore, I figure the next best thing is to serve 80-100 Makers. :wink:

8 Likes

We are SO not worthy… but grateful, nonetheless. (She types with mouth already watering)

2 Likes

I know I enjoy doing things like this. Cooking for a bunch of people every now and then. I must confess though. I typically will cook for my family (Aunts, cousins,etc) about 45 people or so. I smoked 3 12 lb briskets, there was nothing left. I also cooked a fatty too that year and was not too happy with it. Fatty= Bacon weave, with several sausages, cheeses and bell peppers rolls up. My smoker is large enough to fit probably 8 briskets on the one cooking surface. I built it so I could do beer can turkey, so that kinda gives an idea of how big it is.

I want to do this. I feel we need a big get together. I want to give back more. I feel it’s one more way that I can give back to the community and make this world a better place. Simple things do make a difference, even if it is seems like something small.

12 Likes

Again, unworthy, but Sooo looking forward.

1 Like

+1 for at DMS instead of a park. Why? Weather (heat or rain) and mosquitoes.

If we aren’t allowed by the city to do a barbecue, maybe we could hire a cash-payment food truck to park near the front door. We had a huge In ‘n Out Burger trailer at a school event once. Barbecue would be better. More than one food truck would be good, too.

4 Likes

Good thought. I don’t think it’s an apples to apples comparison, though.

Your company is probably under much less scrutiny than DMS, which regularly has inspectors on the property due to potentially hazardous equipment. Most companies don’t have lasers, plasma cutters, an auto shop, kilns, resin torches and other things that can produce fire by accident or by design.

2 Likes