Let’s Get Together

Hello all makers.
I think it is time that we have a picnic type event. I feel that our community is drifting apart & we are loosing track of what matters.

At the end of the day we are all Makers, and the most common, we are all human beings. We all make mistakes, I think we need to put all of those differences aside. Come together as a community of makers and have a good time.

I am willing to smoke multiple briskets for this event. I would like to get this happening before it gets hot. I dont think we need to rent a place, lets just get together in the back & come together like we should. What builds community better than Food. We all eat…

Let’s have some fun.

35 Likes

You’re good people. I’ll help however I can.

Just don’t do it Smith family reunion style and start playing Hearts immediately.

I just had a brand new barbecue pit custom built with three eights inch thick steel and a reverse flow design. This picnic idea makes me want to use it. :slight_smile:

But only with Postoak, because I’m a snob that way.

4 Likes

We had a picnic in the past thanks to @uglyknees and it was a blast. It was very well received and everyone pitched in. I liked the potluck style, too.

We once had a Spring event at my office and we trucked in two semi’s worth of beach sand onto the parking lot for our makeshift volleyball court. We chose teams based loosely upon different departments. We had other games and events, too. We had a pig-pickin’ style event like they’re famous for in the Carolinas since several of our founders worked for Data General in North Carolina in the 80s. They were famous for their “pig-pickins”

When it was over everyone that wanted any of the sand just backed their truck up and shoveled it in. The sand went away in a matter of a few hours.

Picnics can be great ways to get people together. We could have a watergun fight or something similar to take out some of the aggression people seem to have.

Just a few ideas.

3 Likes

I agree, the picnic wasnt hard to put together. I rented a place from the city at a minimal cost - has grills for a cookout.

4 Likes

I really think we should do it at the space, like we have done in the past, because we have room now. Let the pitmaster bring their tools of the trade, let’s shoot some amazing drone footage, and have a blast!

8 Likes

June 1st or 2nd too soon?

3 Likes

Please not June 1st.

June 2nd then?
I say water balloons, water guns, etc

6 Likes

PR closet has waterballons, kites, buckets, and assorted items so you wouldn’t even need to buy much of anything.

1 Like

https://www.cityofcarrollton.com/departments/departments-g-p/parks-recreation/facilities/facility-rentals

If you want to rent the same park we rented Mary Heads Park - they gave us a discount because we were a Carrollton based non-profit. I know I checked on getting inflatables and it’s an extra fee. No booze. Last year they moved our reservation because of the rain - it wasn’t ideal but we rolled with it.

Anyways, not trying to micromanage or take over - I think this is a great idea.

We also got a master hookup for BBQ from Dickeys BBQ but I think a potluck grill out would also work well.

Here’s my folder of information about the picnic (contract, flyers, food list, silent auction): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1dscVVvg7Zvk2awvwHwW6SV3qPvMEr1Nt?usp=sharing

6 Likes

No booze! That’s a travesty!

Like you aint got a yeti aka adult sippy sloppy cup…grrrrrrl

2 Likes

Downside of having it at the space is no grass outside, just concrete and rogue nails.

Upside is its free and obviously centrally located enough for people.

1 Like

I have had an idea for a DMS day, Instead of a picnic in a park
My thought is to do it at the space

Start in the morning with a brunch, do it yourself style with a waffle iron and a griddle
doughnuts and babels for those the want to eat simple

If you want to participate in the day s maker eent, You draw
a button and you are on that team, Each team talks and decides of something crative they can
make with their various skills, No one would be oblidgated to spens
all day on the project, take a class, teach, work on your project some of the time

During the day, folks could bring in goodies, sweets, chips and digs

Around 6 or so, break for bbq, Member made would be wonderful !

Maybe add a penny auction white elephant items

The idea would to be to meet other member, have fun and celebrate our espansion
with those that made it possible

2 Likes

I posted on the calendar last night for the Event on June 2.

8 Likes

Disagree…

There is something that brings the community faster than food… It’s called alcohol, but members be able to plan those preparations for themselves. Thanks for putting this together!!!

Joe, your comment reminds me of a favorite quote about computers:
Nothing allows people to make mistakes faster than a computer with the possible exceptions of guns and tequila!

2 Likes

I have a name idea:

DMS
PICNIC
IN THE PARK
(ing lot)

2 Likes