Lathe Class on lidded boxes

Just submitted this class for June 23rd. Only has a cost if I supply the wood to you. If you bring your own I suggest not using anything soft like pine or poplar as fitting the lid is more difficult. If you don’t care about keeping it you could use green wood to learn the process.

Class Description:
This class will teach each student the process to create a lidded box on the wood lathe. Students should have some lathe experience. The focus will be on the process and proper fitting of the lid to the base. Students will learn how to use the 4 jaw chuck and how to create and use a jam chuck. Maximum class size is 4 students. Kiln dried material approximately sized to 3"x3"x8" is required. Should be a hardwood for best results. For $8 I will provide you Honduras mahogany.

4 Likes

Examples of some of the ones I made last month

3 Likes

1 Like

Count me in for the class. I have lots of wood to choose from so you won’t
need to supply it. It is not on the calendar yet.

I’m not sure how long it takes to show up but I have submitted it and requested the honorarium.

1 Like

How big a blank would be sufficient? is a 3x3x6 or 4x4x4 sufficient? How big would you recommend?

I like to use 2.5" to 3" squares, 6-8 inches long so we have enough material for the box and the jam chuck. Needs to be kiln dried or many years air dried. Otherwise it will move to much and the lid won’t fit after a day or two.

1 Like

I tried to sign up for this class, but I don’t see it on the Events calendar. :confused:

I’d like to sign up for this class but it’s still not on the calendar.

I apparently don’t know the magic to get things on the calendar. I submitted it through the website but nothing. In fact I submitted it twice. I know I have seen someone post about emailing a calendar address but I can’t seem to find it.

LOL…“we want people to teach! But you have to have a 160 IQ to figure out how!!”

I’ll check into it and get back to you.

1 Like

Apologies if any of this is what you have already done.

Here is general page on teaching a class: https://dallasmakerspace.org/teach/.

On the Wiki Rules & Policies page there is a section on Events: https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Rules_and_Policies#Events, with a footnote link that brings you to bottom of page with these notes: https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Rules_and_Policies#cite_note-10. Nbrs 10-13 are of primary relevance.

Nbr 10 brings you to the New Event page: http://www.calendaradmin.com/event/request/b1cf7fefdcf084c90d2584d92f352bbff7/www.dallasmakerspace.org%2Fcalendar. This may be what you are referring to having done twice. If so, you should contact [email protected] to have them start helping you sort out the issue.

Also, I think you indicated you wanted to limit attendance via tickets. It looks like you can either set up your own EventBrite event on your own and email link along with your event request, or just include in class notes/description for request that event is limited to N persons and costs $$? and ask them to to set up the ticketing and link for you (I think this is preferred for some reason).

Also, you may want to contact John Gorman (classroom chairperson) directly for additional questions and support. He is @talkers on DMS/Talk forum.

There is an extremely good chance it is just being held up at the approval stage. when you request a class, it doesn’t automatically get added to the calendar.

1 Like

It’s probably waiting for approval. There were some issues when I submitted since the wood shop was not available so I had to select work shop or something. I have never dealt with the Eventbrite on purpose so I only checked the Meetup box. I already sent a follow up email to both the honorarium and admin address’ so I’m sure we will get it sorted out. Maybe the system doesn’t like my MAC.

Marshall,
As far as I can tell I followed what you posted. I seem to have more issues posting classes than others so I think I just haven’t figured out the nuances of the system yet.

I am absolutely interested in this class and will happily pay you for the wood.

<— is a novice.

Matt,
I am still interested in the class as well. If it ever shows up on the calendar, I will sign up for it there.

If it doesn’t show up on the calendar, will you still teach the class? Please let us know one way or the other: perhaps make a decision by Wednesday and post here so folks will know whether to make the drive?

Based on this thread so far:

Wants to Attend (Needs wood)

Colonendan - Dan Henderson (will bring his own)
HankCowog - Mike Churchill (Yes, please)
rktdr - Jen Doss (???)
NHess80 - Nicole Hess (Yes, please)
rshill - Ryan Shill (???) (Alternate 1)
Ashleyjohnson - Ashley Johnson (???) (Alternate 2)

I’m interested in this class as well. I would need wood, but would be willing to pay for this. I’ve been stalking the calendar for this class like everyone else :slight_smile:

@rshill, I added you to my tally of folks who want to attend.

I now have the 3 approvals for the honorarium. I need to figure out how to get it on the calendar since it’s also one of the requirements. I am sure there is an email for calendar issues, I just have to find it.

Looks like we are booked already so I probably need it added as such.

1 Like

“booked already”…

Dang… lesson learned… don’t lurk and wait for great events to appear on the calendar… claim a spot in the thread!