If you are a teacher, READ ME (i.e., DMS instructor)

What she said. I often spend hours with people when they are doing something on their own after the Bridgeport class on succeeding days. Like Chris I do it because I’m enthused about helping people learning machining - not just how to operate it.

I tell them during the class if they see me and need help come get me. I wouldn’t make that offer if it’s contingent. I’d still do it, but wouldn’t offer it.

3 Likes

DMS doesn’t pay our instructors. This is a result of what an honorarium actually is, and seems to be a fairly common misunderstanding at DMS.

If we were actually paying our instructors you would find that the gubmint labor board would be quite concerned about DMS’s failure to meet such rules as minimum wage. To provide an illustrative example. Having taken @John_Marlow most recent class (quilting), I have no doubt her estimate of 50 hours of preparation is accurate, which in conjunction with a four hour class means she was paid much less then $1 / hour…

An honorarium is nothing more then a thank you to people for volunteering their time to share their knowledge and experience. If you don’t feel you have received value for what you paid for those classes, then perhaps consider what you actually did pay? Most of our classes are free, and I have yet to attend one where I didn’t learn something

I know that from my personal experience, I spend 6-8 hours of prep time for each hour of class, and I frequently get people who want more from me. Sometimes I volunteer to help them and sometimes I don’t. In my opinion, you don’t have a right to anything more then what you receive in class. To use your example, you expect the teacher to formalize their notes so you don’t have to take notes in their class. Why do you feel it is appropriate to place all of the work load on the teacher and not some on the students.

I know that things seem to have changed in schools/Universities today, but in my day you the student were responsible for taking your own notes because the only access you had to the teachers material was when they gave you the lecture… And those teachers were ones we (the students) actually paid…

7 Likes

This new requirement of checking off attendance should be phased in for a few reasons.

1. I didn’t know about it. I did not get a direct notification it was now a requirement.
  2. It is being applied to classes I had already booked. So I would have missed any new verbiage in the text box.
  3. Having read the text box info a few dozen times, I would have missed new information added there.
  4. The new system is not working. It failed last night and today. I tried during class, and it said the window was too late.
  5. The first class was not for a prerequisite, so it was pretty random that I tried. I commented on this at the end of the class.
  6. The wiki should be the one place to check all requirements. Talk, even with a pinned message, is not used by many. Thank you @John_Marlow for updating it.
  7. This info should have been pushed to teachers in an email. You have all our contact info. Easy enough to do a query and pull up the list.

Lastly, As @John_Marlow asks: What is the process for changing Honorarium Requirements? Shouldn’t it be discussed at the general meeting or BOD and reflected in the minutes? Shouldn’t input be gathered from the teachers?

We are such a diverse group of talented individuals. We want the Honorarium process to encourage them to teach. We need to be careful with adding hurdles or creating gaps in the process for people to fall thru. To educate is our primary charter. Let’s do that with the system as well.

for the record - I’m fine with the new attendance feature. I thought it was a cool thing in Meetup

Alex is addressing the bug I encountered in the new system. It currently prevents you from checking attendance DURING class, but is OK after.

1.) While the system does have contacts for all teachers, getting the full list is not exactly easy.
2.) It is being applied to all classes that take place after January 1, which is why I made a post on talk, our best communication tool.
3.) It’s better than not having it there…I dont get this complaint.
4.) You were the first person and it appears to lock out during the class and then open up after the class ends for 24 hours. I will look to remedy this so that attendance can take place during the class.
5.) The attendance thing has been there for over a month and was addressed in this thread https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/calendar-system-updates-november-2016/14573
6.) I asked someone to update the rules on the wiki with what was passed in the Board Meeting as I do not have the rights to modify the rules, but still doesn’t appear to be updated.
7.) I disagree about figuring out all teachers and mass emailing them.

As for being brought up at a board meeting, it was. https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Board_of_Directors_Meeting_20161217#Update_rule_5_under_honorarium_Process_.28Alex_Rhodes.29

Sorry, but I can’t take credit. It is listed in the wiki in three places. I only had the authority/permissions to fix one of those three places.

I had noticed several months ago that there was an attendance check off section for classes that I taught. I made sure that I check it soon after teaching my class. Today I noticed that all the classes are now unchecked as if nobody attended. I’m not worried about it because I see that this new system has been implemented for this new year. My only question is if the record shows that I taught the classes and that people attended, or if this even matters. No worries here about any of this.
I’m finally back from holidays and ready to start teaching again. I hope everyone had a great rest and I wish everyone a great year of making great things.
Kee

My understanding is that we’re just worried about using the attendance tab from Jan 1, 2017 going forward, with recent change of the honorarium disbursements now tied to attendance not registrations.

***note, attendance tab has to be updated within 24 hours of class for honorariums

2 Likes

You are fine. The attendance is recorded and did not matter before January 1.

This is correct.

1 Like

Does recording the attendance update anything that shows what training a member has taken?

If your class has AD groups (prerequisites) there will be a separate area to mark them. These are usually created for all the classes that are required (woodshop, laser, etc.) but not for things like fiber nights or other classes. If we need to create more just let us know.

3 Likes

I wish I had known about this sooner.

Walter, always appreciate your calm demeanor and willingness to explain things - like why it’s not payment for…

is there a way to see how many people have signed up for a class that you are teaching?

Also, where/who do we go to to collect the Honorarium or the fees for the class; or does it automatically get applies to out DMS account? I can’t find any information on this anywhere

Skip to pg 7 on this pdf

where it talks about classes you’re hosting. You can see the list of attendees there. Be advised, if they cancel, their status will show “cancelled”, though they are still listed, so keep that in mind when counting.

It seems an egrerious oversite that it is not mentioned anywhere that honoraria are mailed to your address on file in check form. The payment to the committee is “internal” and just transfers funds.
Watch @Lampy’s weekly “honorariums paid out through xx/xx/xxxx” update threads, usually on Tuesday, Wednesday or so following the weekly Monday financials crunch session.
I’ll look into getting the devoid factoid of HOW you can expect your honorarium check added to the wiki, probably hereish
https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/So_You_Want_to_Teach_A_Class

EDIT:
turns out, it’s already answered here
https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Class_FAQs
which is linked https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/So_You_Want_to_Teach_A_Class#Frequently_Asked_Questions

You have to sign in to your account to see who has signed up You get theri name, an email contact
handy if you you have to cancel and if they are a member, Handy to know if
you need to make sure folks can get in the door

You will also do this to report attendance and beware the report button tries to hide

The Honoraiums are processed once a week then sent to the accountants to cut the checks and mail them

wait, so now i’m confused. is an honorarium separate from the $5 class registration fee? or am i making this more complicated than it needs to be?

The honoraium is the thank you that teachers get from DNS for teaching
The class registration fee is something the inspector decides on, I don t
know how it is reimbursed, since I dont charge a class fee (I take donations for
materials used, but that is done at the class and is voluntary

1 Like