If you are a teacher, READ ME (i.e., DMS instructor)

This is a reminder that classes that take place January 1 and into the future will require that the instructor/host must complete the attendance part in the calendar within in 24 hours after class completion. This was officially announced at the board meeting on the 17th.

This is only a few check boxes and shouldn’t take more than a minute. As always, let me know if you have any questions.

9 Likes

Will there be signs or something posted for those teachers not on Talk since this dramatically affects honorariums?

3 Likes

I haven’t been to the space in almost a week but if someone could make signs and put them on the bulletin boards I am sure that would be appreciated.

And in/on classrooms,doors, and whiteboards, maybe? Needs to be unmissable for everyone. @Team_Education

1 Like

Can that text be added to the web page that the instructor uses to create the course.

1 Like

Or possibly a link to the relevant DMS wiki page that covers teachers/instructors roles/responsibilities and use of event calendar, so that every time rules or policies or procedures change, we don’t need to update the calendar tool pages?

1 Like

All I had planned was to add verbiage to the blue honorarium area for submittal of the class.

Anyone can update the wiki except the rules and bylaws areas.

2 Likes

I updated the “So you want to teach” page in the wiki. There are two more references (that are probably more mainline), but they are in places where it takes special permission/authority to edit. In other words, we need someone like @LisaSelk (?) to make any further updates.

(A) Rules & Policies page, Honorarium section.

I believe that item 5, "Classes must be attended by at least 3 registered people to be eligible for payout " - should have the text “the instructor/host must complete the attendance part in the calendar within in 24 hours after class completion” (per your post above) added.

(B) The “main” website also has a reference in the Teach section.

At the end of the “Getting Paid” section, it should probably add the bit about recording attendance online within 24 hours.

5 Likes

These are the links I was suggesting be incorporated in “blue honorarium area”. Mkes it a one time change and any further changes happen on the wiki. Maybe add a check box that needs to be clicked next to it saying “I have read and understand the Rules & Policies regarding events and Honorarium”, or some such blurb.

It should also be added that … For an honorarium to be paid out and before teaching the same class again, the instructor needs to follow up on all action items / commitments he / she makes during the class or publish a plan of action to accomplishing the outstanding actions items / commitments.

Maybe post it in the bathrooms :slight_smile:

1 Like

Could you please clarify exactly what this means? Was this also passed by the board?

Does this mean that if I tell someone I’ll get them some information, that I can’t get an honorarium until that’s done? And who polices that?

2 Likes

It should be a policy. If an Instructor says (makes a commitment(s)) their going to do something (such as forward out the class notes, forward additional links, or whatever …) it should be accomplished before the honorarium is paid out. If the Instructor has some kind of difficultly in following up on the commitment(s) that are made during the class, a plan of action should be published on when the commitment(s) will be fulfilled.

I see the point to this, but also significant obstacles: How do you propose 1) tracking what commitments were actually made; 2) whether or not they were followed up on to everyone’s satisfaction; and 3) recording/communicating this to Finance team so that they can release honorarium funds?

2 Likes

The Instructor and anyone paying attention in the class knows when a commitment is being made. It’s just part of the Instructors job, responsibilities, and being excellent by follow up and finishing the job before getting paid.

If there’s a requirement for the Instructor to record the attendance on-line within 24 hours … Maybe a feature can be added … Where an attendee could provide feedback and followup between 24 - 48 hours after the class, on if they were satisfied with the class and follow up on the action item(s) were accomplished.

Having a system that has “some kind” of capability to accept feedback from the attendees of a class is a very good way for the Instructor to know if their doing a “great” job and for constantly improving their class.

OK, I could see that. In fact, FYI, I think there there IS some sort of requirement, maybe low priority at this point, for a feedback feature that may do something like this. What it will actually do and look like if/when implemented, I am not sure.

This is out of scope of the current version of the calendar system. In the next major version, we plan to have class surveys (for attendees to fill out).

In all honesty, I don’t really see a point in adding additional complexity to the honorarium system that you are describing. I suggest public shaming instead of forcing the developer to spend days coding something that would likely rarely be used.

Send me the text you want, I’ll print and laiminate and post on doors of:
Interac* tive

• Purple
  • Conference
  • Lecture
  • CA
  • E-Lab
  • Workshop
  • Door to Workshop area by Science
  • Bulletin Board

I disagree. In fact, I strongly disagree.

The honorarium is contingent upon preparing for and teaching the class. It should not be contingent upon the instructor going above and beyond and doing additional things that were not required in order to conduct the class.

When I teach a new class, I put easily 40 hours or more of prep time into the materials. I will sometimes offer to provide additional information because I am an effusively helpful person. But based upon your suggestion, my original 40 hours wouldn’t be adequate to qualify for the honorarium if I foolishly offered during the class to do something else that would be helpful.

If implemented, your suggestion would be a perfect example of the adage, “no good deed goes unpunished”.

15 Likes

It’s all part of it! The job isn’t complete until the final paperwork is done! Hence one shouldn’t get paid until the job is done!

I’m sure if you made some kind of commitment to your class, you would follow up!

There have been several classes that I have attended over the last five months… Where there was a lack of prep work, commitments were made (I will type up my notes and forward to everyone, I forgot to bring and will forward an email with links, pics, etc…, I will send an email with the list of resources …) and follow up with the instructor occurred … Still nothing!

How many times does one have to ask the Instructor? Why should the Instructor be paid if they didn’t complete and do a good job?