If you are a teacher, READ ME (i.e., DMS instructor)

When you put your class into the system, at the bottom it asks if you’re want the honorarium. To get it, you have to have filled out a W-9 and a check will be mailed to the address you put on the W-9. And, you have to have marked the attendance on your class to qualify for the honorarium.

The $5 class fee typically just goes to DMS. We in Fired Arts found that the materials fee didn’t track properly into our “account” in the bookkeeping system, so we’re considering what we’re doing with material costs for classes.

I don’t think the DMS system lets you charge a fee that you receive. It is my understanding that the folks charging a separate fee have to list the class through … um… something like Eventbrite ??? to get that fee. Or collect a fee when folks show up… I don’t do this, so I’m not clear on how it might be accomplished.

2 Likes

Fees at signup go to the committee unless you use eventbrite. You can work out a reimbursement by committee but that’s between you and them to workout, and honestly a pain paperwork wise for everyone

If you want to collect a materials fee, like you bring materials for class and need reimbursement, its way simpler to just note that in description and that popup thingy at the end, then collect fee at class time

I usually have modest materials cost for my wire classes, but I make a point of mentioning specifically what we’re using in case they have it themselves, and getting it from me is optional.

Re attendance
BE SURE you log in and take attendance within 24 hrs and submit it, or you wont get paid. Needs to be min of three registered.

A few tips
-I set a reminder on my phone to nag me until I take it so I don’t forget
-I usually take near beginning of class
-when you set up class, you can set registration as late as 30 min after start of class, handy for dropins

3 Likes

specifics. give specifics. who, what, where, when else it’s just heresay.

TRUTH!
I just spent 3 hours with a student testing out on the domino for $20.
He was happy and is already planning out his next project on which I will assist for free. DMS teachers don’t do it for the big bucks.

6 Likes

And teachers spend a lot of time outside of the class in prepping
I teach hans on jewelry classes where I need o provide basic materials

Right now I working on buying some items to use with the rolling mill I have
to try to figure out what folks will be the most interested in, find the best price, order it, inventory it
In this case cut part of it down to right size

1 Like