How to gain some interest in Software Development

I’m Nik “popados” Khandwala, an aspiring developer and deep learning n00b. These are a list of my concerns about the software development meetings(committees, events, etc). As of right now, I would like to be involved, but do not know what our community goal is.

Can we start posting minutes of the Software Development Committee Meetings? I am here to listen and work on my projects individually. I would like to try and understand what direction we, as a community, want to take software development. That allows me to at least contribute.

I would enjoy having “show and tell” days, as well as, the classes on the events calendar(I would like to see more, and not limited to early hours.) As someone who is into software and technology I enjoy the endeavor of problem-solving, Any information that can be passed on through online means I believe would draw in more people to participate.

I’ve heard of the Github, and I would like to keep that going. Maybe do our own in-house game-jams, and hackathons.

I hope someone reads this!

Hopefully, I will be at the Space more often in the coming weeks see you all later!

Nikhil

7 Likes

Good questions! Do you go by Nik, Nikhil, or popados? Anyway, nice to meet you! I’ve benefitted from other DMS members offering classes and pair programming. Since then I’ve started to contribute back with a couple classes on Git, and I’m doing one on Amazon Web Services in March. I’m also not entirely sure what (if any) the official goal of the community is, but we are the people who can shape it into what we want it to be. :hammer:

What would you like to learn? Maybe someone can put together a class. What can you teach others? See if others want to learn it. We have some “office hours” for @Kirk_Keeter’s classes on Tuesday and Friday nights. I’ll create a calendar event for the next one so it’s more visible.

Hope to see you around the space.
:beers: -AK

5 Likes

@Nik_Khandwala Hey popados,

VCC is about due for another lanparty and several members around the space have done a few in-house game-jams/twitch streams. If your wanting to get a game-jam going then we would love to have some newer perspective in planning this year’s lan party.

I agree we do need more hack-a-thons/demos/“show and tell” days up on the calendar. The best thing one can do is just pick a day, put it on the calendar there and get the word out on talk and discord.

Though, remind me about this we can talk more about these when sync up next week.

1 Like

I’d be very interested in any software development classes that pop up. Went to school for CS but wasn’t able to find a job in the field and need to keep the skills current! Please let me know if there’s anything I can do to help out, I just joined but I’d love to assist wherever possible.

1 Like

While this is miles away from the serious side of software development promoted by @denzuko and others, you might find these classes interesting.

2 Likes

Those both do indeed sound very interesting! I’ve been wanting to learn some Arduino stuff but hadn’t taken the leap yet on my own. I’m already taking the woodshop CNC Router Class today but I signed up for the class on the 27th pending your approval.

2 Likes

And of course its approved! That procedure is just a layer of protection against those that repeatedly register and don’t show up.
https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/five-no-shows-a-late-cancellation-and-no-honorarium/28055

2 Likes

Great, thanks! See you on the 27th.

2 Likes

That reminds me we do have arduino on the jump server and I’m looking into getting fritzing and others to build out our development capabilities.

1 Like