Heads Up: Swapping In A New STI Transmission

Not a bad idea! Who would do the class?

I could, if Auto committee has no issues with keeping the transmission for a bit while I sort out when.

@JeremyDoss did you get to pick up or put away the transmission?

I didnā€™t see any storage spaces available so I brought it home for now

If it goes anything like the class for the VW under the tarp in the parking lot thatā€™s been there for a year then I think thatā€™s not a good idea.

What VW under tarp? :blankspace:

1 Like

There is/was a car under a tarp out back by the transformer. If itā€™s gone then it mustā€™ve left recently. The reason for storing it at the time was itā€™s for an upcoming class. I donā€™t think any classes have ever taken place with that car.

If a class happens I think thatā€™s a great thing! If things sit for many months then itā€™s obviously not a good thing. Committees shouldnā€™t be storing things like that in my opinion.

1 Like

Thanks. I likely would have not seen it.

Just wanted to say, yā€™all are awesome.

Iā€™m so glad to be a part of this community!

As a Subaru Ambassador, let me know if yā€™all want any free Subaru swag like T shirts, water bottles, dog stuff, etc.

3 Likes

If only that included a free Subaru rally carā€¦ :smiley:

You would have to build that unfortunately

This is the one.

1 Like

I want a good reason to pick up another BP Outback to replace my Focus ST next year, instead of anything else. Give me that and we can talk.

1 Like

A BP XT not good enough? The A/T is much better than the generation after it.

I have EJ trust issues, and XTs are rarer than henā€™s teeth in the search radius Iā€™m willing to look in. Theyā€™re much more expensive than the alternative Iā€™ve been eyeing (02-04 Isuzu Rodeo) and they canā€™t tow big stuff. Iā€™d honestly rather pick up a 3.0R than an XT, but finding one of those is a hassle too, and still more expensive than an Isuzu.

If you want towing and reliability, Subaru just released the Ascent model.
Any of their H6 engines are good. Subarus are super reliable if you donā€™t
mod the crap out of them!

My BP was pretty bad on the reliability side of things, constantly cropping up cooling, engine control, and drivetrain issues. Iā€™d almost bought a BD with 400,000 miles that wasnā€™t missing a beat, but I opted for the newer car with 1/3 the mileage and it didnā€™t pay off. Not sure if the BD would have been any better with its first-gen EJ, but thereā€™s something to be said for a car that starts right up with that many miles.

If I were in the market for a new car with towing capacity, it certainly wouldnā€™t be a Subaru. To be fair, if I were in the market for a new car, full stop, it wouldnā€™t be a Subaru. Theyā€™ve lost their magic in favor of conventional market appeal and CVTs. Iā€™d pick up another Jeep most likely, but Iā€™m looking to pick up a cash car to replace my Focus ST as a daily so I can cut a car payment and full coverage insurance out of the budget and save up for a house. I already have a pair of sports cars I plan on keeping, so I want something with 4 doors and the ability to drag those cars around as needed, all for $4000 or less.

Obviously, there are no Subaru models that meet those criteria. If I had the space, Iā€™d consider a BP 3.0R for daily use and an old V10 Ram for moving big heavy stuff, but I canā€™t park 3 cars and a full size truck without pissing off my roommate, so thatā€™s right out. Then again, altogether that would cost about 3 times my budget anyway.

My point is, my experience with Subarus has killed the notion that theyā€™re reliable or fun enough to justify giving Fuji my money instead of saving it for literally anything else. At least (apart from spark plugs) theyā€™re easy to work on.

2 Likes

I agree that youā€™re better off with a larger vehicle if you want to tow cars too.
Got a BD Legacy with a twin turbo EJ A/T swap in a trade. Yanked it for a JDM single turbo A/T which had the option of disconnecting the AWD via an electronic switch. It helped a little with the fuel consumption and was fun before someone bought it. He still has it.

1 Like

Oh man that does sound fun indeed!

1 Like

It was! It was a Legacy GT-B swap(before the change to a single turbo) complete with the scooped hood, dual fog/driving light combo, projector headlamps, bumper etc.