Heads Up: Swapping In A New STI Transmission

2018 STI Transmission Swap Time!

Hello everyone! I just wanted to make a post to Automotive concerning some upcoming work I will be undergoing at the DMS this week. My transmission finally blew up the other week and now I am swapping in a new one! This car is my daily driver, so I am trying to do the swap as quickly as possible.

I am receiving a freight delivery of a 2018 Subaru STI transmission and other parts needed for completing a full transmission swap on my 2014 WRX. I am expecting delivery tomorrow, 4/24/2018 and will be up at the makerspace that day to receive the shipment.

The Plan

I plan on utilizing the automotive lift the following weekend to do the swap.
Anyone who wants to help or learn is welcome to join in.
This will be my first time attempting a job of this magnitude and my first transmission swap.

NOTE: All I ask for is a little patience next weekend as I will most likely have my car up on the lift for quite a while. I am hoping to do this job all on Saturday but might stretch into Sunday a bit depending on what happens.

Wish me luck!

2 Likes

I assume you’ve done research to ensure a 2018 transmission is compatible with your 2014?

If so I bet you could do the swap over a lunch break :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh yeah, I have done a TON of research and have all the parts and instructions from the FSM good to go!

It should just be a straightforward bolt-on for my car!

2 Likes

Subaru transmissions are notoriously easy to replace. I credit how far off the firewall the engine has to sit for this. Makes the hardest part (aligning the box and getting the bellhousing bolts in) so much easier.

1 Like

I’d suggest you either start very early Saturday morning or very late Sat evening.

2 Likes

Very early is my plan if not very late on friday

1 Like

The Shipment Is In!

That’s right, my beautiful STI transmission just arrived at the Makerspace! I’m currently trying to work out the situation regarding storage until this Saturday… Since there doesn’t look like much available space I will be taking most of it home I guess.

@TLAR I have been told I should ask you if I can “impromptu” store just the transmission in this spot for the time being:

(Mine is on the left) If I need to move it, I will arrange something. Let me know!

3 Likes

What’s the plan for the old box, by the way? Core? Dissection? Fireplace decoration?

1 Like

Planet killer doomsday machine?

5 Likes

I’d rather not tie that gray cart up until this weekend. Is there any pallet storage areas available?

2 Likes

Jeremy,

Storing it on a pallet or in pallet area, (not on the cart) would be ideal.
The carts should be empty and ready to be used by the next person.r

1 Like

Not sure what to do with it yet. I know for sure I will dissect it so that I can absorb information and experience for its lifeless husk. I figured I would get ideas about making into some art as I go!

Okay I can move it off that pallet jack. I am not sure if there are any “pallet areas” for me to put it that isn’t already occupied or would be in someones way.

I could maybe move it under that silver table next the the giant green toolbox and set it on the floor?

I had to run back to work so I will be back up there again in a few hours to put it in a good spot once we figure it out.

Jeremy,

Since you are seem to very communicatI’ve and positive - I will grant you some space under the stainless steel table in the auto bay for your temporary transmission storage.

7 Likes

You’re the man @TLAR!!!

Of course with situations like this, good communication can help everyone out! It has been such a privilege having a place like the Dallas Makerspace and its community to be there for me as a growing DIY engineer.

I will move the transmission to its new spot later today, Cheers!

4 Likes

Is the prop shaft the same length between the later STi and your car?

1 Like

No it is not. I had to get them to throw in an 08-14 STI prop shaft since the 2018 STI is a bit longer.

2 Likes

Good to know they gave it to you.
Spent a bit of time mixing and matching quite a bit of Subaru drive trains in the past and the prop shafts are always something to watch out for.
Do the STi’s still have the DCCD?

P.S. Good luck on the swap.

1 Like

Oh yeah, its got the newest version of the DCCD. Fully electronic.

I will not be swapping in an aftermarket controller yet so the center diff will stay open for now.

Thanks for the good luck wishes!

1 Like

Are you already reflashed?