Hackerspace Committee Election

To be fair, we did merge the committees. That’s something that finally got done. And that happened in part because I put the meeting on the calendar and told people about it. We need a new chair so that we don’t have more of the same. We need to get our crap together. From what I’ve heard, you’re right. The two committees have not had their crap together. And I think Dwight has had his chance to make that happen. I just think it’s a shame that there’s such a strong interest in computers at the space and no place for those people.

1 Like

Maybe the candidates would both (or all, if there are more) agree to not use proxies. Either way, the proxy question should be resolved.
Edited: …should be resolved for future votes.

You’d have to get @denzuko to outright say that he’s running in order for that to happen. So far he doesn’t deny trying to get votes, but he also said he’s not running for a SIG. Seeing as it’s not a SIG, and I can only trust what he says literally as opposed to what he implies, my best guess is that he is in fact running.

Muzukashii. Maybe the BoD will come out and say “Yes, we will appoint in spite of proxy, or no we won’t consider proxies. That way, it’s more of a level field up front.

1 Like

Well, I spoke with a board member about the proxy form needed and they referred me the secretary.

If we’re going for King of all hackers then lets include @hon1nbo and the other hackers whom are apart of @Team_VCC and attend DefCon.

my best guess is that he is in fact running.

Please don’t put words in my mouth. Thank you.

People may vote however they wish and even write in a vote. I’m not here to play popularity games.

I’m here to contribute to a maker community, have fun, and do classes about hacking hardware and information security. One doesn’t need a committee or sig for that. Anyone can hold classes at any time.

FWIW, I read this as waiting for your turn to make a laser cut - e.g. something to occupy your time while you are on hold for a project.

2 Likes

your turn to make a laser cut

We’ve seen that in the past for both. The expansion has helped.

My experience with emoticons are dated, and I prefer not to keep on speculating. I’m not confident about what you intend to communicate with the potato and sweet potato emoticons. I know others are curious also. Could you please elaborate on their meaning?

Only OP knows for sure nor would one remotely guess. But there’s a dictionary for it:

To be honest I don’t know either but it seems to be often paired with a vomit so I’m guessing potatoes make him sick? But other times it isn’t… so i don’t know they might not mean anything …
I personally like fried potatoes

To paraphrase Freud, sometimes an eggplant is just an eggplant.

2 Likes

Are you running? Have you tried to get proxy votes? If there’s anything vague about those questions that needs clarification, let me know.

Proxy votes from non committee members (ie @Team_VCC in this case) is very contentious at best and very frowned upon at worst.

https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/committee-proxy-voting-group-5-21-2019/56258/121

Feel free to thank previous SDC chair elections and one 3d Fab chair elections for that.

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Board_of_Directors_Meeting_20190520#Restore_Integrity_of_Committee_Voting_.28Brian_Davis.29

While the motion was tabled at that board of directors meeting. I tend to agree with @yashsedai, @tomthm and the rest of the community here. Their use makes sense for the board not for committees whom are not that different than a sig with space or budgets.

@denzuko are you collecting proxy votes from committee members?

I’m going to do what I think is right. @Team_VCC has 14 members. Combined with the list on the Wiki, it’s a grand total of 22 members. I’m going to post the full list here because I’ve heard that some are inactive:

Chrissy Hormes
Forrest Button
Humdan Bakshi
Laurie Ruggles
Paul Traue
Doug Emes
Stephen Harris
Dwight Spencer
William Gee
@brenly
@Brian
Stacy Button
Draco
Frank Clasuen
Gus Reiter
Karl Lockhart
Lisa Selk
Stephen Wylie
Mark Havens
John A Gorman

With that said, I think that people who will be affected by new leadership, e.g. people who are not on this list, but would become more active in the committee if I’m elected, should be able to vote. If the board thinks that only people on this list should be able to vote, then the board, as a group, should make that clear. And it should be a rule.

I will take votes only from people who both understand who they’re voting for and/or against and who think they stand to benefit from me being chair. My intention is to provide a clear platform people can evaluate. And I hope they will evaluate me as well. If they think I’m making a lot of promises that I won’t follow through on, they won’t vote for me.

Both of you guys are going to cause a stir and fiasco if yall campaign, proxy, dont proxy, only count a subset of members etc…

Yall are both at the space all the time.
Sit down one on one and talk it out offline.
Or sit down as a group with a committee meeting in like 2 days held specifically with the only agenda item being coming to a gentlemans agreement on your own or help with advice from the committee. Stick to it and have a nice clean election.

Don’t let a bunch of nasty shit spill over into the rest of the space to have to sort through.

6 Likes

Considering this is a newly formed committee and on a probationary period I would expect (my opinion) this to not be so contentious. :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes