Hackerspace Committee Election

FWIW, I would not vote for either of the candidates purely based on what they’ve posted.

2 Likes

I’m down to have a committee meeting to come to an agreement on how to election/campaigns will be conducted. I think the most important thing is deciding how we will or won’t use proxy votes. @denzuko what’s a good time for you?

I hope people show up and someone can take minutes so we can both be held to whatever we agree to. I want the committee to drive the discussion.

@tomthm What candidacy? I’m only hearing one person trying to run.

@Kevin EXACTLY!! that’s’ my point earlier, now, and will always be such.

We should have focused on that “being coming to a gentleman’s agreement with advice from the committee” doing the joint meeting not nitpicked over “honey badgers vs ferrets” and why “makerspace / hackerspace” for the committee name was better.

When you and I talked about the cloud classes digital media was holding there was very valid point made that I’m fully on board with; we should be thinking about what’s best for Dallas makerspace not our individual groups/agendas/etc…

It’s why I offered to help take on some of the classes you wanted to see on the calendar not as a territory thing for only VCC having all the computer class but as simply between you, myself, and any member that wants to teach a class we can work as a team to offer those classes.

In fact; VCC doesn’t need to get honorariums to operate; we only needed space to have the cool tech and equipment to work with which we finally got on site and cleaned up. So @Team_Education those 30 or so allocation of honorariums that VCC asked for can go to a committee that would use it better. I’ll personally volunteer all my classes for free without honorarium or fees.

@raffi, @Draco, and everyone else here.

It’s clear the membership and myself personally is fed up with this bickering highschool-esq dramafest and it only hurts the makerspace. It’s more of the same stuff we saw from SDC and its not needed.

We’re a new committee; work as at team and hash it out at the VCC office hours and on discord as we agreed and voted to do so at that joint meeting.

We don’t need committee meetings to be a team. We just need to figure out what would make this community a success as a collective whole. Please be there and work things out.

I think the most important thing is deciding how we will or won’t use proxy votes.

@denzuko what’s a good time for you?

I always tell everyone that the best time to meet me or anyone in the committee is doing VCC office hours that’s the time to actually engage, resolve issues, debate about things so we can free Committee meetings to vote on critical items.

2 Likes

But you do need meetings with actual meeting minutes to be a committee.

4 Likes

OK cool so y’all can hash out a gentleman’s agreement at 7pm is what you are actually saying. I’ll bring the blood oath knife.

7 Likes

OK cool so y’all can hash out a gentleman’s agreement at 7pm is what you are actually saying. I’ll bring the blood oath knife.

So yes. Looking forward to it.

Ok not saying those are not required just saying community starts by actually meeting together and talking more than just once a month or to appease the BoD.

2 Likes

Dwight, you’re correct, and apologies for making assumptions. BTW, in my interactions with you, I’ve found you open, and helpful, and I enjoy your frequent TALK posts with links to various technologies. My comment was based on my assumption that you were running, but we’re not announcing yet, as a strategy. I regret I wasn’t more specific.

1 Like

Edited to delete a stupid joke. I edited because I can’t figure out how to delete using my phone.

You are such a sweet potato.

Very well presented. Thank you for addressing all of the above.

Why did you use rainbow emoji on Freddie are you implying something about him?

Thanks! I’m glad you enjoy my posts.

This is why I keep posting because I know you guys enjoy them and the weird engineering inner workings of my mind. It’s what I’d like to focus the most on while at the space and hopefully from all that it inspires our community.

But yes I’m not the only bright guy in the room; it’s great that we have volunteers and other members that want to teach the technology they love and they need the opportunity to do so.

1 Like

I’ll be at the office hours at 7. I hope other people show up as well so we can get input from you guys.

We’re having a Google Hangouts call for those who want to join but can’t be here physically.

https://hangouts.google.com/chat/person/104818582108982759192?key=R2EEdGKoZVZQrGhf7

Dwight and I just agreed that what we want is for me to be chair and for him to be vice chair. We also discussed having a vote at the next meeting to change the name because we’re basically on probation. @denzuko I just want to get confirmation that this is what you want. Special thanks to @Kevin for suggesting that we have a meeting.

5 Likes

I applaud your change impressive in tone and approach. I encourage you to continue in this way as much as possible. Easy for me to say from the sidelines, but I’ve found that I often trip myself up when I don’t proceed from the premise that even the folks I think are wrong (sometimes really really wrong), intend their actions for the good of DMS. That’s certainly not always true, but I’ve heard it so much on TALK (and often scoffed to myself at it) that it’s starting to sink in with me.

4 Likes

I was implying that the comment was full of rainbows …