Hackerspace Committee Election

@raffi @denzuko
Whoever hacks my old WiFi SDCard to connect to the members network and automatically offload files to the network drive first shall get my vote for King of all Hackers far and wide.

1.2…3… Go!

That’s a way better title than “Chairman” anyway.

2 Likes

@Scott_Blevins
Since Hackerspace was the name stated in the motion that passed on 9/25/2019, can you clarify what you mean by “And we need the Committee name Hackerspace changed to something else”? I’m not questioning the need for a new name, but wondering if your statement represents a board decision, an opinion, a request, or something else?

3 Likes

Consider it a strong personal request, based on the predominant view in the room yesterday that the term Hackerspace and the term Makerspace are largely synonymous in popular parlance. It’s confusing. There are other, better names for the charter of this new Committee.

2 Likes

For anyone who wants to vote for me, based on my platform which can be downloaded below, I’ll be in the common area 5:30 - 9pm today through Friday except when I’m teaching or taking a class. I have proxy forms you can fill out. :slight_smile:
Raffi For Chair of Hackerspace (36.1 KB)

Raffi, might make a suggestion. I wouldn’t go the proxy route. If people want to show up great. I would expect the board to take an extremely poor stance on this.

6 Likes

Been working on changing that for years. Keep bumping into the Dale Dougherty promotion problem whenever I engage with editors on Wikipedia.

2 Likes

Thank you for providing context.

I want the vote to be as fair as possible. I want the vote to represent what people actually want. Not everyone can show up to a single event. They should be represented regardless of their ability to show up physically. That’s why I’m going the proxy vote route. If the board says explicitly that they won’t allow it, then I’ll change my plans. But I think I’m being very transparent. And I don’t want votes from people who don’t know what they’re voting for.

I don’t think you are getting the subtle hint here. I’ll make it less subtle. If you collect a bunch of proxies, expect them to be tossed when it comes time for an appointment.

Can you expand on this Freddy? Does it mean you think the BoD might not approve him in such a case. I’m not trying to put words in your mouth, or question your advice. As with my question to Scott about changing the Hackerspace name, I’m asking for more information, more context. Thanks.

Freddy, please ignore my last post, and thanks for reading my mind :slight_smile:
Or more likely my one-finger typing took way longer than your follow up post.
Edited: Either way, thanks for being more explicit in what you meant.

No worries.

I would say that there are many members who have a rather dim view of proxy use in committee elections, because while they are intended for the use outlined by Raffi, they have been used inappropriately in several elections recently. For that matter, they were inappropriately used by a now non-member last fall when Dwight attempted to merge the two committees.

1 Like

This is exactly what I’m talking about. Many starts and few completions. That’s something I’m hearing from a lot of people. Which is why we need to decide what few projects to take on based on what’s the highest priority for members and non-members and what will actually get done. Not just what’s exciting in the moment.

If you’re going through the trouble of getting proxies, maybe you could have them serve double duty as board election proxies with a few word changes.

Raffi for Board? Too early?

I was thinking the Proxy question was resolved. If not, they should either be allowed or not allowed, rather than being ill-defined. If they are allowed, I believe there should be no repercussions for using them.

1 Like

Here is the issue. Dwight in the past has collected proxies. The only way for it to not be land slide for the one that collects is for all to collect or none to collect. Since, the board has not made a ruling on it, it is still allowed. It is also just for a nomination. Chairs are appointed.

Sounds like an excellent start for the two committees that can’t seem to get their crap together. Yes, lets have more proxy elections…Not confidence inspiring.

1 Like

Uncommon, but not unprecedented is making other means of electronic participation available so that votes could be recognized remotely.

2 Likes