Gauging interest in a class based on Art of Electronics

Well, it’s finally happened.

After kicking around the possibility for over a year, I’ve decided to offer a class based on the Art of Electronics, which is considered to be one of the most accessible and complete books about electronics and circuit design available.

It would meet weekly, Sundays at 7pm and run for an hour and a half.

Considering that the first chapter blows right through the first year of electrical engineering coursework, we may spend a number of sessions working through that, then evaluating how things are going from there.

Anyone is welcome in class, however all non-electronics discussions must take place outside the bounds of the class, whether in time or space.

• I am interested and will be there for sure
  • I am interested and want to be there but will probably flake for some reason
  • I’m just reading this to keep my Organizer talk status

0 voters

3 Likes

If you are not familiar with Art of Electronics, here is what the first chapter covers:

• Voltage, current, resistance
  • Define these terms and understand how they interact with one another
  • Develop and prove properties that help solve complex networks
  • Signals
  • Define and explore
  • Decibels
  • Other signals
  • Capacitors and ac circuits
  • RC circuits, charge time
  • Differentiators
  • Integrators
  • Inductors and transformers
  • the basics
  • Diodes and diode circuits
  • Why they are unlike other circuit elements, linear vs nonlinear
  • Rectification
  • Roles in power supplies
  • Regulators

At this point you should understand any basic circuit made of resistors, capacitors, inductors, and diodes that have a DC or constant-frequency AC operation.

• Impedance and reactance
  • Relating capacitors and inductors to resistors
  • building a basic filter
  • analyzing basic filter circuits

At this point you should understand the operation of basic filters on a multi-frequency signal, as well as have the basis for understanding more complicated analog filters.

Note: It will definitely get a little mathy, but there is no trig or calculus… basic algebra is all you need, and we will be working through that to make sure it’s clear what is going on.

1 Like

Please tag anyone who might also be interested. Right now I have enough interest so that this class will just barely make, but I’d like to have a little more buffer.

@artg_dms @DennisSmolek both of you have expressed various interests in diving deeper. Any interest in this?

Toying w/ some possibilities:
How to use your Fluke meter (without shorting out pwr sply or blowing meter’s fuse). Some discussion, theory and lab.
Intro to digital ICs (74x, CD4x, CD45x) Thinking in functional blocks

I would put initial emphasis on DC Ckts w/ single pwr sply. Keeps the math simple. Most of the folks who’s first (and only?) exposure to electronics is through embedded projects. I’d keep initial info on reactive components very basic - uncharged caps looks like a short, coils have inductive kickback use a diode, etc., etc.

A lab tied to the class drives the discussion/theory home and will be better understood/ remembered. class size would be limited to 5-6 students. Allow plenty of time.

I’d like see our SMD gurus teach on surface mount techniques including hands on. (gently twisting arms)

@Bill is considering doing classes. There’s also Embedded Workshop that occurs once a month. I think each of us could take a given topic and teach in very different ways - a good thing.

So let’s get those who are interested in teaching together and see what everybody wants to teach.

2 Likes

The intent for this class would be to start with Ohm’s law, motivating that, then go as far as we can.

I considered doing the AoE lab book instead, but it would require between $100-300 just in parts.

I think I could successfully do this class with up to 10 students, but that’s the absolute max. Unfortunately if fewer than five students show up, the electronics committee will lose its cut.

2 Likes

Always wanted a regular eLab night covering these topics. Ex. eLab Tuesdays at 6:30pm

2 Likes

The lab book is really terrible. Don’t waste the money

I do already own it. I think its value is pretty purely based around a hands-on class being taught by a knowledgeable person.

But the actual parts costs per student to do the labs is pretty high, at least by DMS standards.

Would eLab Tuesdays be something like what you hosted in this thread? Electronics eLab Hours

I have plenty of knowledge and could teach some basic classes, but alas finding time to create content is always the hard part of holding classes. I’d be willing to help out with adhoc subjects that we could Google / whiteboard across a wide range of topics as well as being available to help people with ideas / skills for their projects. This is probably a “built it and they will come” kind of thing. We just need to schedule the meetings with a clear agenda, advertise here on talk, and staff the eLab.

Then anyone like @DanielHooper that has time to create an official curriculum could occasionally take the first hour for an official, honorarium worthy class.

1 Like

As the class was cancelled earlier tonight will it be rescheduled for another time? Might cancel the book order if not.

Yes, sorry about that, to you two guys who RSVP’d.

I somehow messed up the date entry the first time and made the class for Monday 17th instead of Sunday 16th…

I’ve resubmitted for the 16th (which I’m realizing now is also Easter Sunday…) and it should be available for signup in the next few days.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

2 Likes

Wow, only two people signed up? Well, I will be there. Appreciate you doing this class. Hopefully more people will sign up as we get closer.

I appreciate that! There has been very little opportunity for signups due to two consecutive 72 hour waiting periods because of my screwup.

The new Sunday listing should be on the calendar tonight though!

1 Like

Hey, everybody, the class is finally live on the calendar!

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/2220

@michael_dalton @creaturecarousel @slinkygn @Shawn_Christian @werdman @Haley_Moore @Kriskat30 @petershay @J2punx

3 Likes

@Phil_Mangone @SewingStuff @agvet @steve @Julie-Harris @ejclxxi @jphelps @Adam_Oas

1 Like

Signed up!
Looking for the book online. Want to see if I can get a used copy. If not, I’ll likely buy the Kindle version.

1 Like

I just became a DMS member a few minutes ago. Of all the upcoming classes, this is by far the most pertinent to my current interests. Is there any way you could maybe slip one more person in there, or put me on a waiting list? I’ll be a good student, and easy to manage. I already know a lot of the material and I probably own all the supplies except for an oscilloscope.

That said, I attempted this book not too long ago and some of it was a bit over my head. At the same time I’m also making an effort to leave my personal echo chamber and participate in the tech community. I would be in your debt.

But I understand if you can’t do it and I’m still excited about my future with DMS.

3 Likes

Yeah, you can go ahead and come on. The limit is 15 just to keep it reasonable. One or two won’t be a big deal as long as we don’t have hoards deciding to sit in.

2 Likes

Hate to say it but I won’t be able to make it tonight. I’ve been working through a stomach flu thing all day.

I feel like I’m going to suggest something that might sound stupid. But I’m going to go for it anyways. I bought the smaller version of this for my son:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007TBYEXM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apis_1492393803275

It’s simple but we do the activities together and they are conceptual along with educational. Like electricity is kinda magic, right? At least when you don’t realize some of the basics about it. While this might not be on par with the level that you want to start off with some of the lessons might be good for a -super intro- class about the basic building blocks of how circuits, currents, and electricity works. Possibly a kit is around that’s more towards adult learning or the level that you want to bring to the space. Just an idea I realize you’re looking to amp up (get it sooo good) the lessons and this might not be relevant.

I’ve enjoyed working on the kit with my son. It was a great suggestion by @Lampy

1 Like