FIRST Robotics and Dallas Makerspace

Hello all!

I got a buddy who is working with kids in developing robots and all, and wanting to get together with Makerspace about this. I have limited info since he’s my friend’s friend. But who can I hook him up with at Makerspace about this?

1 Like

What’s he wanting from the makerspace? Advice about robots? Membership allocations? Money? Robot bits?

I do a lot of work with educational robotics. I am open to chat most weekends. That said Talk is definitely the best way to get in touch with me.

4 Likes

I am thinking they probably need space for building and technical help in fabrication work?!

He expressed to me that they are short on build time and typically, historically, never been able to prototype fast enough.

Bare with me as I’m still gathering a bit more information.

Ok. Idk where you are but Rockwall Makerspace was founded on being a workshop for the HS Robotics team so might be another good one to reach out to, especially in regards to how they handle space allocations

1 Like

What program is he working with FTC, FRC or FLL?

Is he working with a particular school or a community team?

If he is working with community FTC or FRC team I would offer him and his students to join Team 2714. We have a pretty big work space at REV Robotics as well as a large and committed mentorship team.

REV is located ~5min from the DMS.

4 Likes

Awesome!

Ummm… I guess the biggest question is, how does Makerspace be involved with this?
Like do we have the kids come in and we just sit and brainstorm like a committee?
Or do we do some fabrication work for what the kids designed?

I guess I should volunteer, mentor, and find out!!! Lol

@frank_lima, thank you! I’ll pass this along!

We use a lot of the equipment at the DMS to help support team activities.

We have used the CNC router, laser cutter and powder coating oven quite a bit. A number of the mentors and a few student on the team are DMS members so they get trained and use the DMS’s stuff.

2 Likes

As far as the team we have 7 or 8 mentors, including myself, that volunteer with the team. Collectively we have about 70 years of experience in FRC including a number of state championship wins as well as World Championship victories. We are working to make this team a power house in Texas as well as a force to be reckoned with on the international stage. Our mid term goal is to win the World Championship in the next 5 years.

1 Like

I was the competition ref for the state championship finals round @UTD a few years ago.
I’ve also graded a ton of team notebooks.
Plus I built Autonomous Underwater Robots for Military college competitions back in the day @ SPAWAR the governments Space and Naval warfare research center for a couple years.

Most of the points are lost to just not writing something in a section when you submit.
Literally my advise is to just fill out every section and leave nothing blank.
I would give team points just for writing a “?” mark and that paperwork will put you in like the top 10%
Seriously don’t leave anything blank & ohhh yeah having a robot that works is good also :wink:

If you want to ping something by me feel free.

3 Likes

So he is working with FRC Team 5057.

Not sure why but he’s backing down from asking DMS for help for his team possibly because DMS is already working with a team. At least that is what my notion is.

Do we, DMS, mentor more than just one team?
Are mentors suppose to only mentor one team?

I’d say it’s a place that any team can work at.
I’m sure the largest makerspace in the world can host more than one team

2 Likes

We as the DMS don’t mentor any team. Members of the DMS mentor a number of different teams.
Mentors and students from:
3005 - RoboChargers
2848 - Rangers
2714 - BBQ (my team)
5431 - Titan Robotics
3802 - RoboPOP
5212 - TAMSformers Robotics
Have all done work at the DMS at one time or another. There have also been a bunch of different FTC teams that have done work at the DMS.

Not at all, people can mentor as many teams as their time and energy allows.

1 Like

@frank_lima … How can I go about in setting up this team with mentors at DMS?

Are you going to be at RBNO tomorrow?

Hey, I just saw your message. I will not be at RBNO, tonight.
As far as finding mentors I would ask people around the space if they to help. What I have found to be most effective is to find subject matter experts and have them help with discrete compartmentalized tasks. For most people commiting the time required to be a highly involved mentor of an FIRST team is difficult to manage.

1 Like

I teach a lot of beginner level Arduino-ish classes at DMS including one tonight. If this may be interesting, try to drop into the purple classroom before class starts at 7 or during lab which generally starts about 7:45. Or, if you would like, you can sit in for the class.
https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/14032

The RBNO meeting in the interactive room always has a bunch of helpful folks on Thursday evenings.

I am meeting another teacher at Tanner Electronics a little after five today. We are going to run over to a taco place at 5:30 then back to the space. You would be welcome to join.

Brady Pamplin

2 Likes

I’m going to be up there right about 6:30ish.

Do these kids also have to be a member of Makerspace?
Would they have to have parents with them to sign off on the waivers? Or present when they are at the space?
What’s the stipulation about these students using tools at DMS?

I probably have additional questions later… I guess I’ll see ya’ll tonight.

I do not know the rules but I signed for a student and for relationship, I put friend. Teacher might be appropriate.