Dallas Makerspace Show & Tell - April 2019

From today’s Resin Geode class.

15 Likes

These look even better in person!

1 Like

Thank you to Astrud for setting up Serge for a Cause. We made burp cloths to be donated. It was great practice and great fun, and it feels good to know we made something useful for people who could benefit from it.

]

14 Likes

Beautiful light switch covers. I want to do this! Did you make the mold? I have the rocker style switches.

1 Like

Yes, it was a great event. Thank you, Astrid. What was the final number of burp cloths?

Quick follow up on the team. At the Texas State Championships 2714 earned 2nd place in the state:

Given our performance this season we were invited to compete at the World Championships in Houston last week:

If any of y’all want to get involved please let me know we are always looking for mentors, no matter your skill set the students will learn from you. We are specifically looking for mentors from The Boeing Company so please let me know if you work for Boeing.

Team 2714 BBQ is a community team and open to any and all high school aged students in DFW. If you know of a student who would benefit from joining 2714 please them know. They can apply to join the team at:

http://team2714.com/join-the-team

-Frank

17 Likes

The final count on the burb cloths was 100!!
(We realized we had 97, so we had to go make another 3 :slight_smile: )

20 Likes

Great job!

I was in the Electronics Room early last week doing a component-level restoration on the motherboard for an old Mac Portable laptop from 1989. The system started out with a garbled screen and whistling capacitors, and the Sad Mac screen:

Mac%20Portable%20Sad
(Couldn’t decypher this error code!)

Nevertheless, after taking care of some corroded traces and replacing every last capacitor on the board (including the SMD ones using the Metcal Talon after re-fluxing, reflowing, and adding more solder to the connections)…

Whatdya know, it works! (Ish. 'Till you give it a good smack. :stuck_out_tongue: )

I took it to my last day at work so everyone could compare it to their 2018 MacBook Pros…or play “guess how many times you have to switch the floppy disks before your program loads!” Of course, being a dev shop, more than a couple folks asked about how to program this thing. :wink:

14 Likes

Oh my…well done!

So I’m deep in the middle of the renfair (I have a shop) and can’t play at DMS so much lately, but here’s what I’ve been up to. Wire jewelry. These are all custom pieces.

I’ll probably teach classes on these rings this summer once the dust settles from the renfair.

First ring, the stone is actually an amethyst tumblestone drilled bead. The pearl is pretty, but it is really a solution to obscure the bead hole in a pretty way. See the wire holding the pearl emerging from the middle of the stone? Yeah. :innocent:

Next is a ring with a gorgeous lapis stone that they picked from my stash, set in sterling silver.

The cool story on this one, found out when they came back to pick it up the following weekend that they are using this for his wedding ring. Awwww. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

This pendant below is an imperial topaz crystal set in gold-filled wire. The ring is part of this set. Looooove imperial topaz. :heart:

The matching ring

20 Likes

Wine stopper from lathe class tonight! <3

15 Likes

I made a wet-molded leather case to hold the Multicam Remote for Woodshop. This was kind of a challenge/request from @Nick.

The ring on the back will allow the remote to be suspended from the ceiling and not crash onto the floor.

27 Likes

Your awesome! Thanks for doing this and accepting the challenge. :wink:
The final piece looks rugged and will hopefully hold up to the abuses it will go through. The wet forming was above and beyond!
Thanks Mike, I always love seeing your handy work.

5 Likes

Sweet!
and other effusive complimentary terms to add more letters.

3 Likes

Fun project I did the other day, my brake rotor needed resurfacing, and since the clausing lathe is to small, and the Bridgeport isn’t accurate enough. So I used the HAAS! Used my own 3/4 carbide end mill and it worked great

Side one

Side one after

And side two, had to be very careful with to avoid the center on the second side but it worked

11 Likes

So fun seeing all of the great completions!

Today, we worked on UV resin drop in bezel and thought I’d share also…

17 Likes

Oh! A few more from class today! Thank you all for sharing the day with me.

21 Likes

My first hand made dovetails made under direction of Tom Cook. Yeah, I know, not perfect, but hopefully I’ll get better with practice.

13 Likes

I wish Talk wasn’t fussy about videos. Here’s video footage of the resin shot glasses made in @classielassie 's class! I want to try again but definitely with different colors. Although the orange had green mixed in, didn’t really show so now looks like a dreamsicle : )

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bw0IQo2A2Sa/

Here’s the video captures I was able to get on phone.

14 Likes