Dallas Makerspace Show and Tell - February 2016

Drop spindle for making yarn. I made the spindle but not the yarn.

6 Likes

I built an FT Explorer, and I’m getting better at airbrushing. Mine is the red one, the blue one belongs to @Nick_McCarthy:

8 Likes

Congrats on the lathe,
You probably could of parted your piece on the lathe with a cut-off / parting tool. Good luck on future lathe projects.
Pic of lathe tooling options:

1 Like

How do you drill a 2" hole in a 3/4" shaft? Or do you mean a hole 2" deep/long

Since there wasn’t a pile of chips in the “after” picture, the latter supposition is more reasonable.

This IS Brandon … no telling.

Well I haven’t been able to do much lately, but now that I am recovering I am getting back to working on my analog music synthesizer project. Here are pics of the user panels that I have made so far for the synthesizer.

This first one isn’t really part of the syntheizer, but a prototype for a class I may offer on manhattan circuit building–a method for prototyping circuits that doesn’t need pcb’s to be made.

These are the first two modules I am working on for the synthesizer.

5 Likes

Made a fun sign for the New Committee:

Built the design in Illustrator and routed the sign out of cheap ply on the CNC Router. Finished the sign with a lazy worn finish. :slightly_smiling:

8 Likes

I’ve been working on the 2016 Hackaday Prize Meetup at DMS.

2 Likes

This is a project I’m currently planning but have yet to execute.

Much to the amusement of some of my fellow loot- I mean volunteer janitors - at “the warehouse” I’ve been seeking out massive flat heatsinks for a lighting project. Since I scored a few …

… I decided to start designing, using the trio of massive heatsinks in the background as my baseline (anyone seeking high-power 300V DC to 15V DC converters, I have more than a few, sadly sans heat sinks).

I have a number of Ryobi ONE+ tools as well as an assortment of batteries for them. I’ve always thought the output of their HID spotlight is decent, but it’s a spotlight as opposed to a floodlight. While Ryobi does indeed sell a LED floodlight, I wanted to execute my own just because. And maybe to use as a general template for a spotlight too - also just because.

Initially I wanted to 3D print the battery interface/handle/body, but I’ve progressed little in my intent to learn the new 3D CAD packages. I’d like to get started sooner rather than Makerspace whenever, so I decided to do a rough version out of laminated plywood sections cut on one of the lasers:

4AH battery on the bottom that slots into the handle/body. Enormous heatsink on top with 4x LED/reflector assemblies. I need to source some decent 1/4" plywood - the sanded stuff that home depot stocks seems like it’s hardly a grade above their 3-ply rated sheathing.

In the event that anyone else is contemplating such an ill-advised project themselves, they should note that most Ryobi batteries have some sort of DRM built into them and will only put out ~8V until they “authenticate” with a Ryobi tool; the pair of 4AH batteries I have inexplicably don’t exhibit this behavior yet the other smaller batteries I have do (both with the fuel gauge and the pack-in batteries)

I have a tentative cut layout…

… and as you can see the innards are a tad more involved than the 2-view sketch suggests. I’m assuming #8 x 2.25" wood screws for the handle: note the alternative patterns with a multi-pattern plate in the middle that will need to accept another pattern to ensure sufficient length. I’ll see if gluing strata makes sense. Missing: accommodations for a switch and driving circuitry.

I expect to use Cree XHP70 LED’s (12V) driven to reckless current levels (I expect ~24W per LED and ~12,000 lumens). I might be able to find something off-the-shelf for driving circuitry, which is preferrable to “rolling my own” since I’d like a more efficient DC-DC circuit as opposed to the current-limiting resistor and/or linear regulator approach that’s within my limited ability to fabricate.

4 Likes

Finally got around to trying out one of the new wood lathes! This is a naturally finished magic wand in Bubinga.

6 Likes

I’d like to watch you make one of those!

Turned a bowl from a Bois d’arc stump (with coaching from Tom). Approx. 11" diameter. My first “full scale” turning endeavor.

8 Likes

Custom wrapping paper and DIY bow.

Had some fun with the large format printer to make some custom wrapping paper for an up coming maker’s party. I think it came out pretty good. Here is picture of the final product and a picture of one of the miss prints due to the thin paper curling from the moisture in the ink. Was a little tricky to print but made a great product.

5 Likes

Definitely! I’m not at the space too much these days, but I’d like to get back to the wandmaking. :slightly_smiling:

Chisel roll I made for the woodcarving folks.

13 Likes

I need something like that.

Let me know if you need help with anything @apipe. I still have the pattern I made for it if you think you can modify it. Or I can make another one. LMK.

Neat project! Recycled heat sinks from Fred’s. If they’re not big enough, let me know. :grin:
And somebody said all the stuff over there was old. Clueless.