Storing Cleaning Tools in Hatchers (Striving for a elegant solution)

Hey Everyone,
So I’m trying to figure out a good solution for the storage of the Cleaning tools in Hatcher’s. @Gimli will probably say that I’m over thinking this and to be honest he is probably correct about that, but I enjoy it so stomping ahead anyway. :wink:

Key point of the design:

1. Should hold Cleaning Rods, Jags, Brushes, Cloth Swatches, and Rags. Hope fully we can have some extra storage to future purchase of tooth style brushes. (Please suggest items I may have forgotten.)
  2. Should be able to be mounted to the wall as that is the only area we have to store items.
  3. Should be able to be taken from the room to a class. To make the teaching of maintenance classes as easy as possible and possibly lessen likelihood of damage or loss of tools.

So I’m thinking of sewing a fold over case than can be hung from the wall in Hatcher’s. @MellissaRhodes is the inspiration for this with the very cool chisel case she made.

I’m thinking something like this:

Grommets at the top to hang it on the wall, Pockets to hold the different tools and rags, and slots that hold the cleaning rods. It would hang most of the time and could be taken off the wall, folded in half and carried to a classroom for teaching when needed. It shouldn’t be larger than a rifle case in my estimates.

• What do you all think?
  • Any tools I’m forgetting about that would be good to put in as well?
  • I need a suggestion on a material that would last and be up to handle the wear of hanging on a wall?

This is my second sewing project for this month and I think it might be an elegant option for a storage problem we have in Hatcher’s.

Side Question to the sewing gifted among us, Is there a simple trick to insure sewing strait lines? This project will have some long straight areas to sew and I’ve always had a hard time getting great straight lines. I tend to get a bit of a wiggle or a slight curve. I hope there is a easy trick that isn’t just deal with it not being perfect. :slight_smile:

Sewing straight lines just requires practice. You can also take a ruler and some chalk or one of those markers that washes off, draw your lines on then just follow. Don’t go too fast if you’re not comfortable and you’ll get it.

+1 To this.

@John_Marlow also showed me these pens which work even better then the fabric markers I have tried. They go away with just the application of heat (hair dryer)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009QYH644/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

Great for signing pre-nups!

1 Like

For one party. I always supply a fountain pen with this http://www.gouletpens.com/noodlers-black-3oz-bottled-fountain-pen-ink/p/N19001 The stuff can’t be removed without destroying the paper!

Damn, their’s no trick. Just requires practice and skill. How has the world not solved all difficult things for us all??? :smile:

Thanks for pulling my mind off the idea that I’m doing it wrong, and putting me back on just needing more practice.

1 Like

Couldn’t we just use a straight edge temporarily attached to make straight lines?

I’m not sure,

With sewing the way you construct items can be pretty interesting and unforgiving for large guides. Often to hide unfinished edges and allow access to sewing different areas of your design, you build your piece inside-out. Sometimes this works in favor of being able to use a strait edge as a guide other times not so much. I think I’m going to increase the amount I mark the piece and try to just take my time.

Thanks for the advice and if you see any additions I need to make, I’m still open to design alteration ideas.

still pulling for a quarter sheet of pegboard on the wall… goes long way AND you could hang a grommeted holder like you’re thinking of from it too…

Rockler sells a Shop Stand Apron that looks pretty similar to what you are trying to accomplish. I’d imagine the pocket sizes and numbers will be completely off, but it should be good to inspect it for inspiration and construction details.

There are also a few other items along a similar line that use clip rails for mounting.

1 Like

That is very closer to what I’m planning.

I came across this while looking for ammo storage ideas. While it may not be elegant it may work.

1 Like

Yeah! :smile:

I caught that video as well. That is definitely an elegant solution. It is also a pretty compact use of space, but possibly not compact enough for the Hatcher’s closet armory. Cool Idea.

For Hatchers, I recommend not putting a rack on rollers like the Savage design, but put it in frames hinged on the wall to swing out or collapse as needed. If you have a tower on rollers - it’ll roll right out to the auto area and Hatchers will never see it again unless we RFID tag the rack to hunt it down when we want something and then chain all the tools to it - not a good idea.

Perhaps we could lock it. I like the idea of it being on wheels so we could roll it into one of the classrooms, much like the bench will once it’s complete.