Dallas Makerspace Show & Tell - September 2018

Teach us please

My first non-wood project. These will be the base for a live edge walnut desk. Going to get them powder coated even though my wife said she loves the rustic look they have now. First time using the cold cut saw and welding.

21 Likes

The Science Lab got an LED Sign

20 Likes

I saw this running last night, it was quite mesmerizing!

1 Like

Results from the patchwork leather apron class (9/16)

12 Likes

I made some rather large book ends for a relatives birthday. It’s the franklin mountain range in El Paso. There’s a star on the mountain that lights up at night and you can sponsor the stars electrical cost and have it lit up in commemoration of someone/something. She sponsors it once per year in honor of my grandfather. I lasered the Star onto the silhouette where it is in real life and filled it in with glow powder.

21 Likes

I love this.

1 Like

Thanks, I think she is going to love it. For reference here’s what it looks like IRL, My size was a little off (by maybe 20%) but no backsies on the laser.

4 Likes

It’s a very thoughtful gift.

1 Like

My dad was stationed at Fort Bliss for a while and both of my parents have mentioned this star before. That’s a neat method and gift.

2 Likes

I grew up in El Paso and I used to love it when they’d like up the Star during the Holiday. Don’t know if they still do that.

1 Like

I believe its year round now so long as there is a sponsor for the non holiday days.

Here’s some fun history about it, I didnt know it’s been around since 1940

https://www.epelectric.com/about-el-paso-electric/el-pasos-star

2 Likes

Looks like a “Gold Star” which would be appropriate to shine all year.

I believe you are right. Every time I’ve been through El Paso, Ive seen it illuminated.

2 Likes

I printed these Stargate bookends as a gift for my Pops who is a huge fan of the show

I used dollar store nail polish and sharpie markers (not the brush pins in the picture) to color and texture the prints.

14 Likes

Does he have an opinion on Stargate Universe?

Huh. I wonder if this is the same Brad Wright.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure it’s close to my own opinions, it was pretty good, not great, but it had some good stories. At the time I think it suffered against too many lost/ resource deprived/semi sentient spaceships in sci production. Today, as part of the whole stargate command storyline, watched in big bingy bites I wouldn’t skip them, but I don’t really have favorite episodes of Universe that I’ll watch without being part of a binge.

1 Like

Non-specific praise, but I am thrilled to be a member of this organization. Love the stuff everyone is creating! The creativity, openness and sense of community is inspiring!

10 Likes

I made this. Tiiiiiiiiime was not on my siiiiiiiiide. Keep your expensive resin at room temp.

9 Likes