Dallas Makerspace Show & Tell - September 2018

Slip cast platter that I’m hoping to use as a bird bath replacement for my parents.

14 Likes

How very Koi of you.

I’ll show myself out…

2 Likes

I think you have potential to make some sort of Rolling Stones themed item here!

HA! Yes, the “tiiiiiime on my siiiiide” bit was my lame attempt at a Rolling Stones joke. Could have gone with Sticky Fingers, that album is where the infamous tongue showed up first.

1 Like

Ahh, I didn’t catch the reference as I’m not a big music guy (heard the song, but didn’t know that was them), but glad you already saw the correlation. I love alumilite, hate the working time.

It looks like a tongue sculpture … just needs eyes

Today’s turned wine stem class. We broke in our new glasses with some delicious plum wine.

14 Likes

Had to get these posted while it is still September.

Cedar Clock with Japanese Numerals
This was supposed to be a Christmas gift for Son #2 a few years ago. Finally got it done. I used the drum sander to flatten the piece, the Thunder Laser to engrave the numbers, and the 3D printers to make templates for layout and routing.

3D Printed Mesopotamian Ziggurat
This was for Son #3’s World History project. He modeled it in TinkerCAD. We printed it in multiple pieces and glued them together. Thanks @maxk68 for your help! A lot of work for a school project, but a lot of fun!

Cheers,
@rovingtow

13 Likes

The ziggurat needs a banana, for scale. :smile:

4 Likes

Good point! It is about 6" L X 6" W X 4" H.

Or a penny … :smile:

6 Likes

@frank_lima and I will be competing at Dallas Area Robot Combat’s Robot Rebellion in the 3lb and 150g weight classes. @themitch22 has a 1lb bot. Think BattleBots, but on a smaller scale.

Our 3lb robot has an aluminum drum with a steel bar that spins at around 20k RPM. It is a sight to see when it makes impact!

It is on Sunday from noon to around 6pm at RC Banana Raceway in Richardson. Or, you could watch the stream live at https://www.twitch.tv/dallasarearobotcombat.

Like our FB page to stay notified: http://fb.me/teamspecialcircumstances.

12 Likes

when your eyes read 150kg instead of what’s actually there…

3 Likes

This is a pair of tapped horn subwoofers I made from a design I found online.
It is a 6.5" Driver that will play down to 25hz!
The tapped horn design is what makes it work, the path from the mouth of the speaker to the end of the line (where the sound exits) is exactly 14ft.
HOW I made it? Patience.
WHY I made it? Because I’m a Maker. And a speaker nerd. And, even though I didn’t need them, I just had to see if I could do it.
Thanks for looking!

Henhez

14 Likes

Killer! How do they sound?

Unbelievable. If you are interested, I’d be glad to demonstrate them, I live near the space. Plus, if you knew somebody who wanted one (you probably will after hearing them) I might sell one.

4 Likes

I’m in the process of getting rid of a bunch of my stuff in anticipation of a move, but someone else might take you up on it.

Great job! Maybe consider teaching a class!

1 Like

Can you give us nerds a link to info about this style of speaker? E.g. why this way and other design aspects

I’m sure Henhez will have a better answer, but this design is similar to the Bose Wave

I believe the main benefit is a sound which is less directional, thereby making speaker placement less crucial and giving a more consistent sound no matter where you are in relation to the speaker.

3 Likes

Oh I totally want to make that!