Dallas Makerspace Show & Tell - November 2018

Give this a read…
http://www.thebox.myzen.co.uk/Tutorial/De-coupling.html

Given the cost (~10¢) and the affect (always reliable vs probably reliable) that strikes me as a bad choice.

While we’re on the subject of power: Do you have both VCC / GND pairs connected to the power supply?

In any case, I do like your board!

I’m super green when it comes to electronic stuff but I think I’m following your terminology.

I have the left most rail as negative and the one to it’s right as positive. There is a 10uf cap bridging those which was like the first step. Would this be my bypass cap?

I’m not sure I follow your question about VCC/GND I would need them connected to get power to the whole circuit, right?

The power supply is going from to the neg rail to center post and the sleeve is connected to that diode just left of the IC, which is connected to the positive on the 100uf cap and the input of the voltage regulator.

No. 0.1 µF is the value recommended by Atmel.

The ATmega328 / DIP processor has a VCC / GND pair on both sides of the package. They both have to be connected to power. (I believe one pair is labeled AVCC / AGND.)

I like the look of yours after hitting it with the brass brush. I’l be doing likewise, I think.

1 Like

Made ribbons for 10x10 show winners per @MizGeek’s s request. The label format is derived from an Atlantic Records label. Those designers really know how to squish text onto a small circle.

21 Likes

That is a stunning ribbon!! I’m so impressed!!

1 Like

Nicole @uglyknees is impossible to resist! What magic does she conjure that makes one abandon personal To-Do lists to go out on a Pinterest quest? Because that’s exactly how these ribbons came to be.

Me: would you order award ribbons from Amazon?
Nicole: but wouldn’t something like “maker-made” be better and more well received?.. Something more us?
Me (feebly, already under her spell): But busy…
Me: (searches Pinterest)

Nicole: I love them!
(sound of her tractor beam engaging)

Laurie… Here’s yours…

18 Likes

Love it and your dedication to the show! Thank you for working so hard to make everyone look so good.

5 Likes

Yesterday (Friday) was a 13 hr stretch at Dallas Makerspace. I started the day with a three hour Intro to Woodworking class, where I learned the basics of operating things that could maim me. Like crosscut saws, joiners, planers, and table saws.

I was scheduled for a wood turned pen-making class at 11pm, so decided to do some volunteer work in the 102 expansion space, then kill whatever time remained reading. While the break room chairs aren’t that comfy for multiple hours on end, it was fascinating to watch the people rotating in and out of the room. But I digress.

I had high hopes for the pen class. Something wooden that actually looks impressive to show off! But it was not meant to be… I had not one, not two, but THREE barrels splinter apart. Sigh… @talkers and I agreed to call it a night (for me) and regroup at a later date. Fingers crossed…

So my show and tell for the day is this lovely block of Douglas fir. As ace instructor @cghaly commented, suitable for mantle display! (note to self: you need a mantle) In any case, like my classmates, I cut off one end with the crosscut saw, shaved down two sides with the joiner, planed down third side with the planer, then went after the last side on the table saw. Not too keen on the table saw, but the planer was pretty cool. And in the process of killing pen blanks, I made friends with the drill press and the belt sander. Woo-hoo!

19 Likes

And first place? By tying for 2nd place, we took all the attention from the fabulous 1st place winner!

1 Like

12 Likes

Here’s a couple of mugs I made in Madison’s mug class, and a cigar ash tray I made in Beth’s hand building class a couple of months ago.

21 Likes

Metal shop got a new press finger brake from Swag offroad. @TBJK welded it up, and I did the first round of powder coat this morning. Saving the rest for later since we have more to weld on the top piece

10 Likes

Getting ready for some upcoming craft shows

16 Likes

A glass pendant from the microwave kiln with copper wire wrapping.

13 Likes

Some earrings made from an old Tabasco chocolate tin.

15 Likes

Ceramics recently did a Cone 010 firing, here are some of the pieces!

Smooth pieces: Tile 6 terra sigillata over various clay bodies
Sparkle Death pieces: New Mexico white mica clay

11 Likes

Silicone rubber feet…

Cast in a mold made using our PolyPrinters…

Designed using the student license of SolidWorks.

For a Raspberry Pi case…

Made using our PolyPrinters…

Also designed using the student license of SolidWorks.

Resulting in a nice Raspberry Pi case with grippy feet…

20 Likes

Ok, so after finishing the diy Arduino I screwed something up. Decided to just get some damn nanos and finally finished the dang thing!

7 Likes

Excellent work – so glad you took the time to make that for them…