Dallas Makerspace Show & Tell - November 2018

Wrapping up two projects this month. #1: I took my ancestry DNA test and purchased masks from the regions it indicated I’m from, sliced them up, cast parts in glass and reassembled the masks. I promise no antiques were harmed in this project! The glass was cast offsite. Can’t wait to get more glass kilns!

20 Likes

Another Beraht Stream Table has made it to the finish line after a few trips through the Space. The Cherry Lake Diner began as an estate sale find with a great pine pedestal base and a warped wood top. Milled the top flat on the Multicam, then added distressed cherry in a way to create a “lake”, flattened everything down again on the Multicam, then finished the base and apron in an espresso color while keeping the cherry natural. Added some Caribbean Blue fire glass and a 1/2" thick glass top and it’s all ready to find a new owner!

Finished table is 54" diameter, 31.5" tall, pedestal base is 22" square

21 Likes

Gorgeous!
And some other words of admiration to surpass 20 characters

Custom Rumikub set, laser cut and resin filled.

16 Likes

The butcher block lives. Unfortunately now that its together I don’t think the legs work with the top. This was my first time turning legs. The top is 7" thick end grain walnut. Started with 56 bd ft of 8/4 rough walnut and this is the finish. Huge thanks to @jeffbob for the mesquite I turned for the legs and huge thanks to @mblatz for the lessons on turning. I love the legs and I love the top, i just don’t love them together.

18 Likes

They are really cool legs. Kudos for some masterful wood turning.

And this NOT a criticism, but when the casters are to the side, I’m reminded of the leg lamp in A Christmas Story.

3 Likes

Looks good but I think you have it right about the legs.Leave them on for a while and see if you get used to them.If not, now you can turn some walnut ones and then I can get you a nice slabof mesquite to put under them.
Do ya think the butcher block is thick enough? LOL.You did well and learned in the process.

Jeff Whitcomb

“The only good sense is one of humor, without it all the others are worthless.” JCW
[email protected]

I finally finished the table I have been working on at Dallas Makerspace.

12 Likes

The bartender sure is eyeing it with a silent nod of approval.

Just as a curiosity, roughly how much do you reckon this weighs?

2 Likes

A couple of cutting boards, I think these are the best ones I’ve made yet. There’s a good bit of figuring on the edgegrain.

19 Likes

I’m guessing about 120 lbs. Same weight as your average piece right?

3 Likes

Turned a bowl on the lathe.

28 Likes

That’s beautiful. What is filling the cracks?

Its a blue/green pearl pigment in resin. The cracks are lichtenberg figures I burned in, which is also what gave some of the wood a darker tint even after apply wood bleach.

The resin was very slow setting and first time I tried it on a curved piece. Gravity was not kind and there was a lot of slop I had to clean up which I ended up sanding away a lot of the finer tips of the burn.

15 Likes

I scored a spot in @Webdevel’s passport wallet class tonight (Monday) and had a blast! I feel a foray to Tandy Leather n my future.

17 Likes

https://dms-discourse-static.s3.amazonaws.com/original/3X/f/0/f0fe25d3e52fbe540854151ee026048afc7514e5.jpg

Good ole cutting board. This (and one other) are my first ones. I’ve been avoiding making one but I can see why they are popular! Fun and easy project. In my opinion …100% of the battle is sanding. OMG my hands hurt. (LOL)

20 Likes

So cool! Is there a class on this I haven’t seen or just watched vids and replicated?

Had a try at a round frame as a special request from a customer. I need to figure out how to paint cnc’d MDF to this finish (what this is), as bought online they aren’t cheap…

10 Likes

The current print issue of Family Handyman magazine (Winter 2018) has a step-by-step cutting board article.

edit - maybe it’s “winter 2019” - it’s out there on some sketchy web sites as a pdf so I won’t post a link, but it’s there…

2 Likes