Ceramics Needs Attention Shelf - April 2022

Please monitor this thread for items that did not go into the kiln for one reason or another. The kiln team will write a note to let you know what we need in order to fire the piece.

Thank you, Kiln Team

In performing glaze load, these are the pieces we need your assistance on before loading. The scalloped bowl is on the glaze shelf as there was not enough room on the needs attention shelf.

This is the current state of the needs attention shelf.

1 Like

The needs attention shelf

Also these were on the bisque shelf, didn’t load because I couldn’t tell if they were “low fire” glaze or on the wrong shelf

Cannot tell if these are cone 6 or something low fire that was on the greenware to be bisqued shelf. Please advise

Greenware to be bisqued is not usually at risk for melting. In fact, bisque temp IS low-fire. I’ve sent low-fire ware through the bisque fire often. I’m not sure, but I think even the mica clay is okay at low-fire. Mica clay is distinguishable by the sparkles. @cmcooper0 – I know the mica is better even lower, but does it melt at Cone 04?

If we think the orange is okay then I can move it back, it looked questionable to me, but if we think it will be fine in bisque I can certainly put it back on shelf. The other two I’m nearly certain it’s underglaze, but there were no notes to indicate such and one was provided on what looked like its own cookie so I didn’t want to take a chance until they confirmed. Trying to save pieces as able and our equipment.

(Most) mica starts to lose shine and sparkle over 010, but still looks pretty great at our 04 bisque. It can go poorly at 6 though, heh.

At 010: Dallas Makerspace Show & Tell - November 2018 - #78 by cmcooper0

And at 04: Dallas Makerspace Show & Tell - May 2018 - #16 by Julie-Harris

They are two different base colors, but both still very sparkly.

1 Like

Orange is usually just an iron-rich clay. While that IS the color of terra-cotta, which is a low-fire clay, you can buy iron-rich clays that fire as high as Cone 10.

Whether that’s an under-glaze, or a low-fire glaze, if they’ve provided their own cookie, that should be good to go. This response is why I recommend that folks who want to fire some low-fire leave a note with the piece so that the loader knows what’s going on. Underglaze is normally safe, but if I’m firing a low-fire glazed piece, I want to be sure that the loader knows that they’re loading glazed. I mean, you can have bare bisqued pieces touching. Not so with glazed, and even underglaze may transfer a bit.

This orange clay is in the recycled clay buckets. Do we know for sure what it is?

1 Like

There was a note on it saying red laguna and cone 6 so I put it in kiln load.

2 Likes

Friendly reminder most, if not all items have been here since the beginning of the month. If not fixed they will be thrown out in May.

Thanks for your attention!