Dallas Makerspace Show & Tell - November 2018

@william_petefish and I machined some adapters to replace the two C type alkaline cells in an illuminated magnifier with a single 18660.

It’s a two part piece due to our current boring bars, made out of aluminum.
Made on the Colchester lathe from cutoff aluminum (i.e. dirt cheap near scrap aluminum).

Cheers,
-Jim

9 Likes

@indytruks138 Cutting Board Class. Fantastic class and I see why it fills up so quickly.

!

15 Likes

Turned out so amazing Greg. I need to get you the fett to get your board up and off the counter.

:wink:

9 Likes

this was etched into acrylic using a diamond drag bit. the 2nd pict shows it illuminated a bit with some leds in the electronics lab. This was just a prelude to working with cnc for the plastics group and with the glassworks committee for creating either something frosted without the use of acid and/or an LED lit sign and what the CNC will do for them. cheers!

IMG_2192IMG_2193

12 Likes

I think your horse is on fire :wink: Pretty design. What are the pros/cons of etching acrylic this way versus rastering on the laser?

Excellent question. This is created by etching in a crosshatch which you can control to create a difference in contrast. This crosshatch is very tight so not a lot of difference between it and the laser. Once I move this to glass it will make a difference as you you lasering glass doesn’t work well as it frosts by creating micro fractures vs this which will scribe lines. Cheers

6 Likes

Made this child chair as a gift for my cousin and his boy. First time trying inlays with the Multicam. Turned out pretty nice!

23 Likes

One con is the time it takes. I think this was a 4 inch picture and it took about 51 min. Pro looks awesome

My walnut is sooo not lined up. are there any tips for that?

the box is beautiful!

1 Like

Just got my first welding project back from powder coating. I didn’t do the powdercoating but I cut and welded this desk base. Will post pictures next week once the desk is completed.

7 Likes

@brsims, @JohnK, and I spent some time after Sunday’s Open Forge trying to work out how to make hand-forged sleigh bells. Mostly successful and we got some jigs and tooling made to help, but we were very slow; barely finishing before dark. Hopefully the next ones will be faster.

20 Likes

Here’s mine. Pretty rough, but I’m ok with it as a prototype. The next one will be a little better I think.

18 Likes

We made one of many strandbeest legs (It’s a start)
Next workday will be November 20th if you’re interested in helping out.
https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/8701
Please note multicam might be present to film - still waiting to hear back so if “they” are still looking for you and you don’t want to be filmed please tell them beforehand.

9 Likes

I’ve been following instructional videos from http://www.notesandvolts.com and I’m trying to make an “Auduino” Synthesizer.

The first step was to breadboard an arduino and then transfer it to a protoboard (veroboard was cheaper so I went with that)

I could just buy an arduino for ten bucks, or a nano for 5 but this solution… uhhhhh… ok so I probably should have just bought a handful of nanos but this took me 2 attempts and resulted in a MUCH GREATER feeling of accomplishment. After I got it working last night I didn’t want to go to bed!

BEHOLD!
MY DIY “ARDUINO LYTE”

I’m far more proud of this ugly lil board than I ought to be. I know, I should have used black wire for my grounds but all I had was red.

14 Likes

You could have made a far worse choice. A few folks on the Arduino forum have used bare wires for such things. They are a sight to behold. But, as expected, somewhat fragile.

I don’t see bypass capacitors.

What function does a bypass capacitor serve?

This is going to be the core of a lil standalone synthesizer, whoever came up with the schematic decided to leave them out on purpose I suppose.

In fact the version I was looking at left out the status LED and resistor, but I needed them as a sanity check before I move on to adding the pots.

Black sharpie will fix that (red wires)

6 Likes

Heheh, I actually did that after I took the picture just cuz.