Dallas Makerspace Show & Tell - November 2018

Here’s a couple of mugs I made in Madison’s mug class, and a cigar ash tray I made in Beth’s hand building class a couple of months ago.

21 Likes

Metal shop got a new press finger brake from Swag offroad. @TBJK welded it up, and I did the first round of powder coat this morning. Saving the rest for later since we have more to weld on the top piece

10 Likes

Getting ready for some upcoming craft shows

16 Likes

A glass pendant from the microwave kiln with copper wire wrapping.

13 Likes

Some earrings made from an old Tabasco chocolate tin.

15 Likes

Ceramics recently did a Cone 010 firing, here are some of the pieces!

Smooth pieces: Tile 6 terra sigillata over various clay bodies
Sparkle Death pieces: New Mexico white mica clay

11 Likes

Silicone rubber feet…

Cast in a mold made using our PolyPrinters…

Designed using the student license of SolidWorks.

For a Raspberry Pi case…

Made using our PolyPrinters…

Also designed using the student license of SolidWorks.

Resulting in a nice Raspberry Pi case with grippy feet…

20 Likes

Ok, so after finishing the diy Arduino I screwed something up. Decided to just get some damn nanos and finally finished the dang thing!

7 Likes

Excellent work – so glad you took the time to make that for them…

Wrapping up two projects this month. #1: I took my ancestry DNA test and purchased masks from the regions it indicated I’m from, sliced them up, cast parts in glass and reassembled the masks. I promise no antiques were harmed in this project! The glass was cast offsite. Can’t wait to get more glass kilns!

20 Likes

Another Beraht Stream Table has made it to the finish line after a few trips through the Space. The Cherry Lake Diner began as an estate sale find with a great pine pedestal base and a warped wood top. Milled the top flat on the Multicam, then added distressed cherry in a way to create a “lake”, flattened everything down again on the Multicam, then finished the base and apron in an espresso color while keeping the cherry natural. Added some Caribbean Blue fire glass and a 1/2" thick glass top and it’s all ready to find a new owner!

Finished table is 54" diameter, 31.5" tall, pedestal base is 22" square

21 Likes

Gorgeous!
And some other words of admiration to surpass 20 characters

Custom Rumikub set, laser cut and resin filled.

16 Likes

The butcher block lives. Unfortunately now that its together I don’t think the legs work with the top. This was my first time turning legs. The top is 7" thick end grain walnut. Started with 56 bd ft of 8/4 rough walnut and this is the finish. Huge thanks to @jeffbob for the mesquite I turned for the legs and huge thanks to @mblatz for the lessons on turning. I love the legs and I love the top, i just don’t love them together.

18 Likes

They are really cool legs. Kudos for some masterful wood turning.

And this NOT a criticism, but when the casters are to the side, I’m reminded of the leg lamp in A Christmas Story.

3 Likes

Looks good but I think you have it right about the legs.Leave them on for a while and see if you get used to them.If not, now you can turn some walnut ones and then I can get you a nice slabof mesquite to put under them.
Do ya think the butcher block is thick enough? LOL.You did well and learned in the process.

Jeff Whitcomb

“The only good sense is one of humor, without it all the others are worthless.” JCW
[email protected]

I finally finished the table I have been working on at Dallas Makerspace.

12 Likes

The bartender sure is eyeing it with a silent nod of approval.

Just as a curiosity, roughly how much do you reckon this weighs?

2 Likes

A couple of cutting boards, I think these are the best ones I’ve made yet. There’s a good bit of figuring on the edgegrain.

19 Likes