Dallas Makerspace Show & Tell - December 2019

The wrap is suede leather lace, applied with a copious amount of super glue and the end of the wrap tucked under an earlier loop to contain the end.

Form 2 Grey Resin print @ 50 microns. Model from myminifactory.com
https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-the-grinch-by-dr-seuss-79900

Modified to add loop so can be used an ornament and hollowed out for SLA printing.

11 Likes

I tried to follow a you tube wrapping video to wrap this glass fused pendant I made (bubble and all) a while back. Any suggestions for a necklace to go with it I’m all ears.

9 Likes

small black beads, perhaps? Rock Barrell (near TI) usually has a good selection of stone beads. You might even find some that are like the glass in the background.

1 Like

Thanks that is a neat suggestion!

My 2nd and 3rd stained glass projects ever. Getting more confidence and happy with the results regardless. Added one of the bead spiders from the class awhile back to the spider web. All are Xmas gifts.

20 Likes

I love your color choices!

2 Likes

So these are pens 2 and 3 Ive made. The first being probably a year ago in class. Googling and youtubing definitely occured. :smile:

13 Likes

Finished the cabinet. I still have to hang the door on it, but it’s mostly done :slight_smile:

16 Likes

Finished these.

First one, customer at my renfair shop (wire jewelry) wanted a necklace “with presence” that complemented her court dress.

Dominant blues, touches of golds and dark browns. We found the focal stone (Wild Horse Magnesite) in my “magic box” (cabs I have available for custom stuff) and fiddled around with various bead choices until we found ones that went with the focal stone, the dress, and played nice together.

Beads were several colors of pearls, hessonite garnet, blue topaz, apatite, and austrian crystal

This next one is a baby piece of peacock ore they brought me that got blinged up with austrian crystal, hematite, and pearl

Also made a matching chain with insets that can be worn together or separately

11 Likes

Love Wild Horse! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Me too. Almost sorry I sold that one, but it got a good home. Made me start looking in ebay for material though

This is what has me excited about the lapidary equipment, getting to control-freak stones, shapes, for interesting material to use in my jewelry

#funnewobsession

5 Likes

Thanks to MakerSpace auto shop I’ve been successful keeping my two old cars a few paces ahead of the junkyard. Not as pretty as the other posts on this thread, but here’s the new radiator I succeeded in replacing in my '07 Explorer, along with the hoses, thermostat, temperature sender, thermostat body, and a new serpentine belt.

13 Likes

Love the shaving set!

1 Like

I’ll need to clean/finish this, but I think this may become the first of my blacksmithing stuff to make the move from the garage to the house: a steel stand for a bud vase.

13 Likes

Last whoring of my pens for the decade, I promise:

Vertex Fountain pen with the lightest colored piece of cocobolo I’ve turned. Love the grain.

An aromatherapy pen kit from PSI with Olivewood. Also excellent grain.

Dragon pen kit from PSI with African Blackwood. There’s grain, but the camera never seems to get it.

13 Likes

Beautiful! I especially like the dragon pen - possibly because African Blackwood is such a delight to turn. Was the olivewood green enough to ooze when you turned it?

1 Like

someone should introduce you to the joy that is a scroll jig. Your house will thank you for it. Your tapering is impressive.

1 Like

I’ve been woodworking for about 25 years. I started out working almost exclusively with power tools but I’ve gradually worked my way backwards to working as much as I can with hand tools. A last minute cancellation created an opening in Peter Follansbee’s class last week on making a carved oak box at Lost Art Press in Covington, KY, so I jumped on it and boy am I glad I did.

Peter teaches construction techniques and decorative carving styles of oak boxes made in New England during the 17th century. During the week long class I built this box from one board of quartersawn red oak and a couple of wide (16") pieces of eastern white pine. (Both rough sawn.) The sides are joined with square wooden pins and the bottom is attached with hand forged iron nails. The hinged lid pivots on two “pintles” that extend from either side of the back. (Very difficult to describe; makes much more sense when seen up close.) All of the board preparation, joinery, and decorative carving was done using hand tools. Peter was an excellent instructor and I found the class fascinating.

Jim Lancaster
Approaching my 1st anniversary as a member and this is my first show & tell post

27 Likes

No, sadly. But it still definitely had the distinctive smell when turned. :slight_smile:

1 Like