Dallas Makerspace Show & Tell - December 2019

How cool! Did you do the etching on the inside bottom of the dishes? Hard to tell from the pics. Gives me ideas… :slight_smile:

The contents of most etching cremes are:

• Barium Sulfate .
  • Sulfuric Acid** .
  • Sodium Bifluoride.
  • and Ammonium Bifluoride .

so wear gloves and ventilate. These days I prefer to use the laser to do glass etching.

1 Like

Its on the inside of the dish. The bottom had raised lettering so I wasn’t confident I could get a good seal with the vinyl.

We used to have classes on it in Creative Arts all the time. Its doesn’t really produce a strong fume. The gloves are a must, though.

will this stuff etch steel?

Memory Game for my great-nephew from family pictures. The tiles are FRP from Unisub that are dye subbed. Unfortunately the Memory Game Set is discontinued. The Shapeoko could probably be used to cut tiles from FRP sheet stock.

7 Likes

Made in open forge class today!

17 Likes

I am at this stage atm. Hoping to successfully make it into a butcherblock style table top for a computer desk. Got part of my weekends planned until it is done. Going for something similar to this:

20 Likes

Thank you @Christykaake for an AWESOME class!! Keep an eye out for her surface decoration class with underglaze where you can make plates and mugs!

19 Likes

Excellent! I’m an old submarine sailor, myself!

Resin face. Constructed out of resin in resin. Patches done in polymer clay, then acrylic paint applied and seal. pressure pot was used. Art project came out deformed.Unit was prepped via sanding and scuffing of places of repair. nose was replace with polymer clay, Unit was baked and sanded. Experimental art piece.

8 Likes

Luke & I made an LED XMas Tree

Ohh yeah and managed to fit two led controllers In the power supply. One for Experimental pixel mapping, blue tooth and NFC. The other for WiFi and Math algorithms. Plus a 12v to 5v buck and a DSP audio processor with line in and microphone. Plus daisy chaining all the GIOP, TX, RX and sharing audio pins all between them so they can be daisy chained either way in software and switched between with a toggle switch Between the experiment if it fails to the stable production one I’ve been using on the fly if needed

15 Likes

6 posts were split to a new topic: Cool LED Tree! - Discussion

Made a lantern ornament for my grandma out of hickory and walnut.

24 Likes

This is stunning!!

Amazing work!

2 Likes

The door isn’t hung yet, but this will be a cabinet for a fish tank.

15 Likes

A friend of mine harvested a wild hog on his ranch and I extracted the tusks. I decided to make a primitive-looking knife using One of the tuskd as the handle. (Not super practical, but neat looking). I forged the blade with a short, curved hidden tang (boar tusks are hollow) out of a section of coil spring using the induction forge.

To reinforce the primitive look, I finished it with a knapped flint look to it.

I’m happy with the finished look, though the extreme curve in the handle makes it a better desktop letter opener than an EDC.

18 Likes

very cool, did you turn it in all 3 axis?

1 Like

what is the wrap?? well done.

No, i drilled the 2 horizontal axis on the press and the 2 vertical on the lathe.

1 Like