Dallas Makerspace Show & Tell - December 2019

I made a slip cast travel cup for my daughter’s Mandarin teacher.

18 Likes

Tuesday night was the FiberFrolic stitch marker exchange. I know little about stitch markers, but felt compelled to do something other than beads attached to rings.

I had the bright idea to do teeny-tiny macrame on split rings, using 12 wt thread. It was much more labor-intensive than I expected-mostly because the knots are so small, I can’t really see them. I wore my binocular glasses while knotting at home and figuring out the most expedient methodology. I’m christening the process “microme”. While I didn’t include a penny for size reference ala @John_Marlow, the grid behind is a one inch grid.

14 Likes

Luke and I made the first revision of an industrial theme arch leg rolling caster standup desk for DMS. Another one with Ben’s LED wood top to come.

15 Likes

Yikes! That means the rings are about the same size as chain maille. Impressive!

1 Like

Absolutely beautiful! :heart_eyes:

Finished cabinet. I also added some motion activated LEDs inside.

14 Likes

My first butcher block brick style cutting board.

26 Likes

More Christmas gifts

11 Likes

I took @CaryF300’s Dye sublimation class and then made these dye sublimated coasters with my alcohol ink artwork (find me at @BarkingChickenStudios on Instagram). I used the Epson 10000XL High Resolution Media Scanner in the Creative Arts Digital Annex to scan my artwork in at 1200 DPI, then I used Photoshop to scale my images to the size I wanted and create an Adobe PDF, all at 1200DPI. The file was very big (at least 1GB, closer to 2GB).

Bit of feedback for those who are new to Dye Sublimation - the computer that the dye sub printer is connected to is connected to the network via wifi. This allows the computer to be moved to another room for classes, but it also makes file transfers/downloads very slow. I highly recommend using a flash drive to transfer files instead.

16 Likes

I took the class on using the Shapeoko 2 on Tuesday and this evening I made a couple door tags for my kid’s bedrooms

9 Likes

SFF computer build with a black anodized aluminum case. I used the lasers to etch the anodization and selectively tinted with alcohol inks.

15 Likes

Very clever! Looks great.

And another. I made this for a gift exchange at work tomorrow. Sterling silver with rainbow moonstone, austrian crystal, and pearl. Style is a Y-necklace (see upper right insert image).

The focal stone wrap is the basic bezel wirewrap I teach occasionally. I’ll schedule some classes after the turn of the year if there’s interest.

14 Likes

Count me in!! I’m still waiting on my last backordered wire to come in at RioGrande.

1 Like

Omigoodness I love these so much!!!

1 Like

Macrocrystalline glaze fire:

@Monikat, @brendamvilla, @John_Dorion, @amy_er, @Anette_Henningson, @Liamluu

24 Likes

Thanks! I’m really excited to get some blanks in and see what else I can do.

1 Like

Giving a Texas-themed gift, thus opted to go for something centered around some local Whiskey (literally - it’s distilled in Lewisville).

Materials

• 5mm underlayment
  • Titebond II wood glue
  • Min Wax color express
  • 3mm EVA foam
  • Too many miniature hinges (next time, piano hinge)
  • Jewelry box latches
  • Tall shot glasses from Buc-Ee’s (where else to get Texas kitsch?)
  • All that to contain ~$20 worth of liquor

Like so many things, I ran up against deadlines thus it’s not quite what I dreamed of it being - both in terms of design and execution. But for all of the small errors and bodges, I completed it on time and I suspect the recipient will be pleased.

20 Likes

Looks great. Nice job

Ammo can cigar humidor. Got some old boxes from the cigar store, humidity monitor, ammo can. Since I am giving as a gift I lasered the logo on the little shelf. I used epoxy to glue the sides to the can. Prototype and the next one I want to cut the wood using the laser and interlock them, will be much better.

13 Likes