Dallas Makerspace Show & Tell - December 2019

Ammo can cigar humidor. Got some old boxes from the cigar store, humidity monitor, ammo can. Since I am giving as a gift I lasered the logo on the little shelf. I used epoxy to glue the sides to the can. Prototype and the next one I want to cut the wood using the laser and interlock them, will be much better.

13 Likes

Quick fun shirt for the wife

7 Likes

Found a necklace for the Pendant I made, thankfully just in time for Christmas gifting.

10 Likes

Love the perspective shift … unless this pendant is about 10" x 14".:wink:

Looks good. Would go with this new backpack:

4 Likes

Oh yes! That’s perfect.

1 Like

I made this little ring in @sroriginals Sue’s class. It’s a simple little fun project that you can whip up in no time. She had several different patterned wires in silver and copper. All we had to do was bend it and solder the joint (and make it round and buff it).

I take classes in order to covet new tools. Hydroflux welder … where have you been all my life?? :heart_eyes:

15 Likes

Made a spinning Bronze and Brass Desk lamp with individually addressable amber, warm white, cool white LEDs in place of (r, g, b) / (ww, nw, cw) on each die/pixel

15 Likes

Thanks to @JBluJkt for the intro to stamping class. Fun and productive. I’m going to need lots more practice to get high quality results, but I’m pretty happy with my first attempt.

12 ga copper, stamped and patinaed, shaped and polished.
17 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Amazon has a large verity. I just got a pack of black and swap out my pendants. Nice job!

1 Like

Which class was that? The hydroflux one?

The class was “simple band rings, soldered, hydroflux torch training”, in the Jewelry category.

1 Like

Decided to give out flashlights to the family this year … in laser-cut presentation boxes:

Materials pretty much identical to the hooch box above with the addition of a pair of risers of 6mm EVA foam for the inserts in each box. I was hoping for a more … refined … finish than the hooch box, but time constraints, a bad paint setup on the ~3ft² I was able to clear on my workbench in my garage, and just enough patience with finishing to make it not obnoxiously horrific conspired against me.

Lithium AAs because I don’t want to repair one more device that’s had an alkaline cell leak inside it Friends Don’t Let Friends Use Alkalines™ and the recipients aren’t going to invest in a low-self-discharge NiMH setup.

17 Likes

I made a Texas.

Because Christmas.

25 Likes

So I could not find a Lockout that’s made for a 1200 amp breaker a couple weeks ago. So I made one out of aluminum. I started with some stock & took it to 1/2 squared. I then fixtured it to a V block on the Bridgeport to cut the 45. We did not have small enough machinist jacks, so I had to take light cuts, about .015 passes (3-5 human hairs). Once at a 45 I drilled & tapped it.

I then took some aluminum plate to the bandsaw & tilted the table to get an angled cut. I tried 15 degrees 1st but ultimately ended close to 30. I machined on the Bridgeport flats & then subsequent pockets for the socket head cap screws to be recessed to lock it. I did have to use the sherline mill to create the notch in the middle to make clearance for the handle.

I also created the pocket for the socket head cap screws to sit in for the lock hasp.

19 Likes

rather surprised it did not have an integral lock out.

Me too, this gear is only a few years old if that. Their last machines were 4160 & used different gear.

Maybe you were supposed to just put electrical tape over it??

Not made, but cool Christmas gift I got…(Amazon, it was around $175 for the set). Just noticed the coaster I made on the laser a while back is in the background.

9 Likes

Macrocrystaline glaze fired pieces finished.

20 Likes