Dallas Makerspace Show & Tell - December 2019

Went back to some old school acrylic last night.

15 Likes

https://youtu.be/Iwst_yCpnzo (my first fight starts around 00:16:00), also I ran the live stream video for this event.

My 150gram combat robot “Tickled Pink” design by a former DMS member Emmanuel Carrillo, used the bandsaw, drill press, and belt sander to make the 3mm thick titanium pick axe and armor. And did all the wiring for the bot in the electronics lab. Unfortunately the bot was about 20 grams overweight so had to ditch the armor (but still had room for glittery paint).

Oh I also made the trophies for the event using our dynatorch plasma, and laser etched powdercoating to add enamel paint lettering.

16 Likes

Finished my Tool bag, I only did a few things for it at the space. The base internals were plasma cut on the Dynatorch. I then used the magnetic to bend the .100 aluminum to make a pan. I tacked the corners with the TIG machine. I machined the feet out of 3/4” brass. I also drilled & tapped the brass to tie the feet to base with button head screws. The whole bag was hand stitched, all the leather was formed & made from scratch.

25 Likes

Well planned and nicely executed. Looks extremely functional.

What brand of glaze did you use for this? My sister is interested.

It’s from Christy Coopers macrocrystaline glaze class, not a straight brand glaze.

Simair Base 1 (4000g Batch)

Frit 3110 50%
Zinc Oxide 27%
Silica 14%
Spodumene 4%
Talc 5.5%
Total 100.5

Add (for specific color)

Titanium Dioxide 7%
Bentonite 2%
Copper Carb 2%
Cobalt Carb 0.25%

(Yes that is over 100, it is super twitchy but the way a lot of glaze recipes are written and I’m too lazy at the moment to rewrite it. Glaze mixers will know what to do, no worries.)

Firing schedule:

1. 250℉/hr - 250℉ Hold .10 minutes (can skip if glaze is completely dry)
  2. 500℉/hr - 1978℉
  3. 150℉/hr - 2250℉ Hold .15 minutes (we extend the hold to fully reach cone 7)
  4. 500℉/hr - 1875℉ Hold .45 minutes
  5. 500℉/hr - 1810℉ Hold .10 minutes
  6. 250℉/hr - 1875℉ Hold .45 minutes
  7. 500℉/hr - 1810℉ Hold .10 minutes
  8. 250℉/hr - 1900℉ Hold .45 minutes

You can tweak those crystal growing, slow cool holds to change the size of the growth rings.

Edit: If she hasn’t done macro glazes before, she’ll want to hit up YouTube about how to make stands to fire pieces on, it runs massively!

7 Likes

Thanks so much for sharing the recipe: I was expecting a commercially available glaze, but I personally find this much more interesting.

I’ve forwarded the info to her, but as she’s sharing kiln space at the studio where she does pottery (in Atlanta) I don’t know if this is an option for her. If so, I’ll ask her to share some pics of her results.

2 Likes

Shillelagh inspired walking stick made out of an 8/4 scrap of ash.

15 Likes

This is a Reaper Mask from the Game overwatch, 3D Printed into pieces, glued and XTC3D’ together, then primed and painted to be mounted on the wall like a trophy, as a Christmas present!

Click here to see the whole Process on my Portfolio Site!

14 Likes

I also just finished an OLD light box project, for Ori and The Blind Forest!

paper and foam board was cut on the Laser Cutters, wood was done in the wood shop. assembled with LED plug in the back.

20 Likes

Today, @apparently_weird, Nathan and I did part 2 of @Lordrook”s Dragon Egg resin/wood turning class. Here’s my results:

Thanks Steve!! It was fun! Despite the eggs all making a run for it…

25 Likes

Awesome! Great looking!

And ye shall do one soon, I’m sure.

My arthritic cat needs her bowl(s) raised. A commercially available stand won’t fit the lidded bowls we use. I made her a quickie little stand out of oak. 1/4" acrylic with laser cutouts keeps the bowls in place on top. The acrylic is (loosely) pegged onto the top so it can be easily removed for washing.

IMG_8568a_600px

(the curved cutouts on the rear edge are just an artifact of the acrylic scrap that I already had).

29 Likes