Dallas Makerspace Show and Tell - September 2017

Post a picture and description of anything you are working on this month at the 'Space here!

It can be anything from a small craft project to a large CNC router project to building a table to 3D printing to a science experiment and so much more. There are lots of people doing cool things at DMS all the time, but most of us don’t get to see it. Post it here and share the interesting things you are doing at Dallas Makerspace this month!

Posting here helps not only promote Dallas Makerspace, but could inspire others to make something. It will also help PR post a monthly look at what can be done here on a blog post (with attribution to each maker of course).

:bulb: NOTE: Please try to include the following on each post, to help make for richer blog content!

  • a decent QUALITY photo
  • a notation about WHAT you’ve made
  • WHO you are (for attribution on the blog)
  • HOW you’ve made it
  • and WHY

So because of the new hands free law that started today. My company is requiring phones to be mounted in a cradle. I picked a cradle up yesterday, however I don’t like the fact that I am relying on adhesive to hold it to the dash. So today I decided to make a different mount for it. Of course it will be made of steel. I will use Plasmacam & the TIG to finish it. Machining portion is now done. I took a piece of 3/4" .750 round stock and turned it down nominally to about .665. I then set up the concave/convex turner on the lathe. I turned the outer ball end but then had to re-tool another tool to take the majority of the stock out. I then set back up the convex tool & finished the inside ball. The ball will attach to a socket on the back of the phone cradle.


What a great solid dash mounted impalement device! You gonna weld it in?

Great work, did you use the concave/convex tool or are you that good at free-handing? (which wouldn’t surprise me)


Yep. It will be TIG welded to the mount that is going into my van. It will be TIG welded because I don’t want spatter on the finish. That mount will be bolted in. It was finished on the back half with the tool after roughing the shape out.

1 Like

Had to share, this is in-progress weaving class for scarves on our 4-harness table loom in fiberarts/ca. This class focus is twill weave-structure scarves. I threaded the loom so it would work with about 20 twill-structure patterns in our weaving draft book. They pick which one(s) they want to weave.

The class session was teaching them how to read the draft and hands-on practice a bit to make sure they feel ok coming in on their own to weave, each taking a turn for their scarf on the shared warp. Once everyone done, I’ll cut everything apart and it’ll be ready for pickup.

Pic shows two different folks’ scarves (bottom pattern recently finished and rolled on, upper is in progress)


Hi I’m Kim!
I finished my topographic world map late last month. I loved how it turned out. It’s roughly 3 1/2’ by 5’ and has 5 layers.
My coworker wanted a topographic map so I created one for her using satellite images and creating contour lines based on the levels.


Saw it person, very cool…


This is a fish scale wallet back embossing plate I completed. Cut on the HAAS into delrin plastic. With room for name/initials.

FullSizeRender (6)


In keeping with my quasi-tradition of planning laser-cut projects, I have some plastic shoe boxes I’d like to stack up and organize, generally as so…

Not the fanciest visualization, but more than sufficient to start designing from. Left side is the elevation facing the user, right side is a section. Shelf is 11.5" deep and I have ~39" of vertical clearance against 15" of height; I plan on making two of these.

After quite a bit of time determining just how much material I really needed, I condensed it down to something that fits within the footprint of a 24x48" quarter-sheet of plywood:

Between the visualization and the design file, I removed a lot of material on the vertical sections. This won’t be supporting a lot of weight and will be screwed into the wall. A second unit stacked on top will have the benefit of double-stacked 1/4" plywood to help bear the weight.

I might even find enough wasted space to fit my last as-yet-unrealized design in.


Congratulations to Bud Farnham who completed the bottle opener with a Joker head project. This is Bud’s 3rd project and did a very good job and has earned unsupervised access to the HAAS CNC mill. I’m sure we’ll see a lot of great things from Bud. Cheers!


Quaking aspen disks + animal silhouettes + laser access = rustic coasters for our cabin.


I made a 3d scan of my house with my drone, then used third party software to stitch it into a 3d mesh and stl file, I 3d printed it. Thank you to Kee and Mitch for their help.


how did you make it???

1 Like

This is absolutely amazing.

1 Like

I just started woodworking last month, and after making a cutting board I got a bit ambitious and decided to make a table for board gaming as my second project. I followed some plans I found, and I used pine boards for all pieces except for the gaming surface itself, which is plywood covered in felt. Finished with stain and GF High Performance satin. Very happy with the finished product with its imperfections and learned my lessons for next time!


Very nice, should make your gaming more fun.

Glad to see you jump right in!

Did some dye sublimation this weekend. The Texas AirHogs second baseman, Alvaro Rondon set the American Association’s single season record for stolen bases. I was asked to create a plaque to congratulate him at their final game of the season on Monday. Here is a picture of the transfer straight out of the printer, and the resulting plaque.


that looks great. the colors are vibrant.