Dallas Makerspace Show and Tell - May 2017

Last year I sloppily designed and laser cut a seal press so I could install a seal on my truck without jacking it up (and save like $100 compared to the GM tool). I kept it on the off chance I’d need to press another seal the same size which at the time I figured was never going to happen. Well, turns out I needed it which is both good and bad.

I got everything apart and then back together again. I forgot to plug a wire back in for the 4WD actuator but other than that it seems good. No leaks!

Once I plug the 4WD actuator back in it should be good to go and the warning should go away. Knock on (laser cut) wood?

13 Likes

New screen avail for PR and great new screen printers.

A special thanks to Kat for the experienced help.

20 Likes

So much goodness this month!!

4 Likes

Laser tumblers made today in and after class.

@mediccby made one for his graduating daughter.

I made a couple for Jayson.

12 Likes

Buttons!!! Fun class tonight.

End results. Tanner with a clever one, among many.

A few demos

10 Likes

As soon as I can find some time to cut this, I will - a solution to a cat that likes to gnaw on USB cables charging phones overnight (but wisely refuses to nibble on AC cords).

10 Likes

How did your cat learn to not nibble on AC cords?

No idea, but it avoids them judiciously. I suspect it has something to do with their thickness and lack of pliability relative to USB cords as opposed to nearly (un)naturally selecting itself out of existence.

3 Likes

Drew this up in Fusion 360 earlier in the week at home. Exported & cut it on the Plasmacam. Welded it together. I haven’t mounted to the wall yet for the tungsten bench grinder. I was able to check the fit in Fusion and found 1 error.

You can see where the consumables really started messing up in the pic above.

11 Likes

Used my newfound knowledge from @talkers’ Midnight Makers vinyl cutting class to make some bling for my wife’s laptop lid.

19 Likes

Hey! That looks great @HankCowdog

Had fun last night, and this morning, making characters with @artnerdray for the next Stop Motion Goof.

16 Likes

this is a companion piece to the firefighter I put up last month with the resulting embossing. 3" piece of brass for a wallet back plate.

12 Likes

My son made a big Mothers Day Card-board on the Thunder.

20 Likes

Here is the rest of the Mother’s Day roses and pop up cards I worked on while waiting in the laser queue. :wink: One card previously posted.

12 Likes

Hi all,
so i made this friday may 12th, but i’ve been working on the design and test cuts out of cardboard and scrap for a week or so.

My three year old nephew was having his birthday party on saturday and it was dinosaur themed. We have a no more toy present agreement with my brother-in-law for his kids and our kids. But i felt this didn’t really violate that agreement as it was “handmade”, using a laser. Anyway I feel it came out fantastic.

i cut it on the thunder laser, its made from 2 pieces of 1/4" plywood. Top Layer i think was a birch veneer and bottom layer was a maple veneer. I used 1/4-20 nylon Screws and Acorn Nuts as the finger pulls.

I cut out recesses in the maple bottom piece for the screw heads to sit. total time on laser was about 18 minutes.

I then used Titebond 3 and some clamps and weights to glue the two pieces together, had to use some superglue when i got home as one piece in the middle didn’t get clamped properly.

I delivered it to him on saturday and the little kid loved it, and everyone else at the party was thoroughly impressed.

14 Likes

Mothers Day Gift. Made from 1/4" birch plywood that was cut on the Thunder laser. Wood was color washed with diluted (with water) acrylic paint and then finished with epoxy resin.

14 Likes

Wow @richwhite! I was impressed with just the wooden design. Looks fabulous.

This is a Settlers of Catan board I carved using the Multicam CNC Router. This is the project that led to the massive gouges currently in the spoilboard. Oops – sorry.

I dye stained the pieces, then put a few coats of polyurethane on them.

The board is for my brother, a Catan aficionado.

22 Likes

Not quite a make but the compressor repair.
Pulled the head & cleaned the surfaces very well. Reassembled the heads. Drained the tanks. Changed the oil & air filter. After I assembled it on the first compressor, we ran it & the pressure relief was leaking. I replaced the leaking relief today. Also we re-ran the auto-drain.

24 Likes