Dallas Makerspace Show and Tell - March 2017

One of the charms I was playing with on the Metaza last night.
Itā€™s also why they donā€™t let me play unsupervised very much. This was the least offensive of 3.
I will probably do a side by side comparison of the Metaza engraved charm and one in which I use
Cermark and laser it. Just as soon as I catch a break. cheers!

9 Likes

Well the other show and tell thread is closed but I finally finished the table I posted about in that thread on March 1st. Here it is out in the sunlight ready to be carted back home.

16 Likes

Here is the neck piece that I made in the worbla class tonight! Worbla is kewl stuff ~ Thanks for the awesome class @Kriskat30! :smiley:

13 Likes

I love this. Can I steal it to make a bookmark with this on there? I have the ā€œGo the F*** to Sleepā€ childrenā€™s book for my son, and I canā€™t think of a better page marker to go with it than this. :joy::joy:

3 Likes

Ha ha. Sure!

I finally learned how to use the sergers and sewing machines we have today! :smile:

7 Likes

Is there a jealous emoji Iā€™m missing?

1 Like

LOL ~ no green faces, but this fella is green :ghost:
(kinda too cute for jealousy though heheā€¦)

2 Likes

Ayden got arty with a beautiful chunk of mdf scrap. I love this soooo much.

14 Likes

My first successful 3-d print! Iā€™m not entirely happy with the hardware situation and may redesign the camera platform so it retains the camera-attaching-bolt-thingy. And, well, it printed with a weird raft that I forgot to turn off so all the pieces have a strange grid on one side. I may re-print with more infill and thicker skin, but this works for now.

Edit: full disclosure, this is from Thingiverse: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1460181

12 Likes

Yesterday I delivered my first big DMS project to my mother for her birthday. It is a bedside table with a cedar top and steel base. (Yes, it weighs a ton.) Top was cut to have a 45 degree angle on the Multicam so it fits with a bed placed in the corner on a diagonal. Only took me 8 months from idea to completion on this! Thanks to all for the classes and advice through the project. Learned a ton and now I am looking forward to the next projects.

17 Likes

Beautiful! And it clearly uses a lot of different types of skills. Well done. Iā€™m sure she will really enjoy it.

The wood is also beautiful. What kind of wood is it?

1 Like

:slight_smile:
Iā€™m wondering if itā€™s left aromatic, or finishedā€¦

1 Like

@John_Marlow and @jast, I originally was going to do a cherry top but it wasnā€™t turning out like I wanted and the scale was wrong (too thin). At 11th hour, I switched to cedar. It was a couple cedar 4x4s from Home Depot that are supposed to be fence posts! Used the band saw to make them 2X4s and I was off and running. Finish is several coats of poly to protect if a glass is left on it. (And base finish is black primer followed by a black ā€œhammeredā€ spray paint.)

5 Likes

Nice project. It would make for a great ā€œmake and takeā€ advanced metal/wood class.

1 Like

Just donā€™t make it triangular! Way too much time involved in the anglesā€¦

3 Likes

A six-month project class. Iā€™m in! :smiley:

2 Likes

Iā€™ve created a new thread for continued discussion about this being a potential ā€œMake & Takeā€ Advanced metal/wood class (and any other general discussion about this particular project) so yā€™all can focus on it as much as yā€™all want outside of this ā€œShow & Tellā€ thread. :wink:

BTW ~ I do agree that itā€™s a beautiful (and solid) piece! Your mother is very lucky! :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
ā€¦and, that it would make a great project! :smiley:

1 Like

Replaced pads and rotors on my car, giant torque wrench comes in handy when torquing caliper bolts to 162 ft lbs

5 Likes

I made this while I was hanging out at dms this week. Itā€™s a leaf-cut amethyst CZ, along with some freshwater pearls and Austrian crystal. The gold color is for a birthstone, but I think it looks striking with the deep purple of the focal stone. I shaped the frame around the setting to complement the shape of the focal stone and its orientation. The metal is 14k-gf.

17 Likes