Dallas Makerspace Show and Tell - March 2017

I finally learned how to use the sergers and sewing machines we have today! :smile:

7 Likes

Is there a jealous emoji I’m missing?

1 Like

LOL ~ no green faces, but this fella is green :ghost:
(kinda too cute for jealousy though hehe…)

2 Likes

Ayden got arty with a beautiful chunk of mdf scrap. I love this soooo much.

14 Likes

My first successful 3-d print! I’m not entirely happy with the hardware situation and may redesign the camera platform so it retains the camera-attaching-bolt-thingy. And, well, it printed with a weird raft that I forgot to turn off so all the pieces have a strange grid on one side. I may re-print with more infill and thicker skin, but this works for now.

Edit: full disclosure, this is from Thingiverse: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1460181

12 Likes

Yesterday I delivered my first big DMS project to my mother for her birthday. It is a bedside table with a cedar top and steel base. (Yes, it weighs a ton.) Top was cut to have a 45 degree angle on the Multicam so it fits with a bed placed in the corner on a diagonal. Only took me 8 months from idea to completion on this! Thanks to all for the classes and advice through the project. Learned a ton and now I am looking forward to the next projects.

17 Likes

Beautiful! And it clearly uses a lot of different types of skills. Well done. I’m sure she will really enjoy it.

The wood is also beautiful. What kind of wood is it?

1 Like

:slight_smile:
I’m wondering if it’s left aromatic, or finished…

1 Like

@John_Marlow and @jast, I originally was going to do a cherry top but it wasn’t turning out like I wanted and the scale was wrong (too thin). At 11th hour, I switched to cedar. It was a couple cedar 4x4s from Home Depot that are supposed to be fence posts! Used the band saw to make them 2X4s and I was off and running. Finish is several coats of poly to protect if a glass is left on it. (And base finish is black primer followed by a black “hammered” spray paint.)

5 Likes

Nice project. It would make for a great “make and take” advanced metal/wood class.

1 Like

Just don’t make it triangular! Way too much time involved in the angles…

3 Likes

A six-month project class. I’m in! :smiley:

2 Likes

I’ve created a new thread for continued discussion about this being a potential “Make & Take” Advanced metal/wood class (and any other general discussion about this particular project) so y’all can focus on it as much as y’all want outside of this “Show & Tell” thread. :wink:

BTW ~ I do agree that it’s a beautiful (and solid) piece! Your mother is very lucky! :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
…and, that it would make a great project! :smiley:

1 Like

Replaced pads and rotors on my car, giant torque wrench comes in handy when torquing caliper bolts to 162 ft lbs

5 Likes

I made this while I was hanging out at dms this week. It’s a leaf-cut amethyst CZ, along with some freshwater pearls and Austrian crystal. The gold color is for a birthstone, but I think it looks striking with the deep purple of the focal stone. I shaped the frame around the setting to complement the shape of the focal stone and its orientation. The metal is 14k-gf.

17 Likes

My (grand)nephews, ages 1 and 2, will be the lucky recipients of a fabric/soft book I have been making for the past several months. I got a lot of ideas online, especially Pinterest, and then modified and built on those. The “book” has 15 pages of fun learning activities, and a “tote bag”. It is bound with rings so the pages can be separated between the two boys, or divided up for more age-appropriate groupings.

Some of the pages are simple while others are gloriously complex. The textures page has a piece of “reversible” sequins - one of the coolest things I’ve ever seen and it just begs to be touched - thanks to @Kriskat30 . In addition to the obvious sewing and quilting, this involved a lot of laser cutting, applique’, and embroidery programming/ stitching. The laser makes applique’ a lot easier, especially with synthetic fabrics. I mean, check out the fingers and toes of the frog on the tote bag. I could not have done that by hand.

And lest anyone ask, these are RLS (real-life scale) - about 9" x 8". No miniatures of these are even remotely contemplated!

28 Likes

Again. Everything everything everything you do is amazing.

6 Likes

Printed these little raven skulls and then attached jump rings to them to make a keychain. I think I need to learn how to do jump ring soldering too to feel secure in the joints that I’ve made though. If anyone wants one (even of a different skull), let me know (PM or reply).

-the purring dork

10 Likes

Wow. What lucky Grand nephews you have. These will be treasures that they can hand down to their children.
You are simply inspirational to us all. Thank you for sharing these with us.

3 Likes

Dog skull would be neat.