Newb Sewing Class?

Hey all, I’m interested in learning how to use the sewing machines to start learning how to sew period.

My personal experience is basic patching of camping gear and as a kid I did weird cross-stitches with my mom.

I don’t really have any goals in mind but I have NO IDEA how they work or where to even start. I took the leather basics class and have been thinking of making a leather paintbrush roll as a gift or a messenger bag. Both would go better with knowing how to use the sewing machines.

I saw there are classes for the sewing machines but it reads as if general machine knowledge is expected… Is there ever a newb class?

1 Like

I took the sewing basics yesterday. My experience before the class was knowing what a sewing machine was and that it had a needle and bobbin. Taking the sewing basics class will teach the fundamentals of how to use the sewing machine and serger.

2 Likes

Same here!

[quote="ejclxxi, post:2, topic:18014"] Taking the sewing basics class will teach the fundamentals of how to use the sewing machine and serger. [/quote]

…and, now I feel confident enough to at least do the basics! :smiley:

I highly recommend you take the class! @Kriskat30 is an awesome instructor! :smiley:
2 Likes

I would love to get a few teachers to teach a consistent monthly into sewing class. If anyone wants to step up please don’t hesitate. @Kriskat30 @dryad2b have been doing a wonderful job tending to the flock.

1 Like

For your goals, yes start with sewing basics class. A couple of additional notes…

You mentioned “period”. Didn’t know if that was “just need to learn how to sew in general” or literally “sew Period clothing” as in historical recreation groups. So if you’re talking SCA or similar garb, @dryad2b (Beth) will be well familiar with what is better direction on beginner garb. If it’s more costuming/cosplay, then @Kriskat30 Kris is the go-to person for that.

Also you mentioned leather roll or messenger bag. For sewing leather, once you know sewing basics, you’ll need to take the leather class. We have two leather sewing machines that are separately approved for use. You wouldn’t/shouldn’t sew leather on our normal sewing machines.

Good luck with your projects!

1 Like

I’ve been a little hesitant to start a really regular class, because demand seems a bit weak. It’d be great to have regular classes, but it won’t help your cashflow any if the classes rarely have 3 people. Given that, I’m considering a Peasant Blouse class in maybe late March.

2 Likes

Sewing 101 is a newb class, Im about to plug in a couple more that will show up in about 3 days. One of the participants in yesterdays class wants to start teaching as well. I was glad to hear she wanted to and I’ll be getting with her to schedule things. As for things I sew, there isnt much I havent done from period costumes to wild alien cosplay XD Hit me up in you are at the space and I’ll show you the basics.

4 Likes