Dallas Makerspace Show and Tell - June 2017

Ginger tabs always are! :laughing:
Great share!

1 Like

I’ve been looking for a way to motivate myself to draw more. I have a Wacom tablet, but it’s hard to use it when it’s stuck in a drawer across the room. Time to fix that!

CAD in SolidWorks:

Lazer cut, glued and dried! Yay! Time to cut off that squeeze-out.

Also I bonded some washers to the back as reinforcement. I countersunk the mounting holes in the poor weak masonite and things got a little crazy…

Point.

Mount.

Bam!

I know all I really need to draw is paper and pencil, and this is the most makery, round-about, overbuilt way to encourage myself to draw, but what else was I gonna do this weekend?

…gawd my walls are ugly…

19 Likes

World of yarn bowls. I had a family member make a request but I don’t knit…so lots of experimentation and bothering people in CA with questions had to happen. Big thanks to everyone for their help!

Multiple clay bodies and glazes, all thrown and fired here at DMS.
Chris

24 Likes

7 posts were split to a new topic: Upcoming Yarn Bowls project class

Special thanks to @kyrithia for all the advice and help with this. I made my wife some wire wrap bookmarks. 2 are bronze, one is copper. She loves dragonflies, and skeleton keys, clearly.

18 and 22 gauge wire for these and lots and lots of patience trying to get the wire to bend the direction you want it to go went into making these.

16 Likes

I designed and made a scabbard for holding a folding saw under the fenders of a western saddle. Similar to a rifle scabbard, but smaller. A gift for a friend.

20 Likes

this was an embossing plate cut in delrin plastic cut on the HAAS last night during tour night.
The STL was created in fusion360 from a photograph although I had to massage it a bit in Aspire. I am quite happy with the output.

14 Likes

Very nice work Mike. How long did it take to complete this?

Made the prototype out of cardboard, cut the leather, stamped, and dyed it one evening.

Next evening I glued and let cure overnight. I also cut the straps and keepers and riveted on the buckles.

Then stitched it the next evening. Added leather sheen as well to seal it.

Total time: perhaps 4-5 hours. Wasn’t really tracking it, though. Could have been a bit more.

1 Like

The Shapeoko was down and I had time to kill before a committee meeting so I laser cut a Frabjous puzzle out of some scrap. Few pieces got warped during the solving so I’ll need to go back through and secure a few points. Solving took about 12 hours but nobody’s accused me of being mathematically inclined and it is designed for such people

26 Likes

Here is my latest progress on the cargo van conversion. Insulation is just about done. This weekend, I’ll be cutting a hole in the roof to install the Maxxfan!

11 Likes

This turned out great!

1 Like

I though that was so cool when you showed me at the jewelry meeting!

2 Likes

Thanks! I suggest some tweaking to the file before anyone does their own but it’s on M drive

1 Like

Larry does not get on Talk but has asked me to post his gorgeous walnut table he made over several months here.

30 Likes

Nice! The photo doesn’t do this table justice…I was really impressed with his finishing work.

4 Likes

The cruel-bus needed a tachometer so I grabbed an after market one and made a holder for it.

16 Likes

Looks great! Do you know if he just used walnut or did he add in other wood? It looks like it might have some maple in it?

That’s just the color variation over the longitudinal cross section of the tree

1 Like

what is cruel bus? ???

1 Like