Upcoming Yarn Bowls project class

Wow. I would love to make one or several of these for my wife.

I need to make one of these also! When are you usually at the space, so i can pick your brain :smiley:

@Webdevel @mreynolds

I’m actually planning on doing a project-style class for yarn bowls end of July or so, I’ll be sure to give you a wave when I post it up.

If you already know how to throw, I can absolutely walk you through the rest any time, just hit me up to schedule! If you’ve never thrown before, I have a beginner’s throwing series starting July 16 that has a couple spots still open.

I’ll be up at the space today after lunch and then on Friday afternoon if you want to get an idea of what all can be done. It was a really interesting project for me since I had never cut my bowls apart before, so weird…but oddly satisfying to just attack it with a knife. Super fun!

5 Likes

I’ve worked with clay, but not thrown before. I’ll be on a cruise during the middle two of these classes, so I’ll hold out until your next set assuming you have another after July 30.

We’ll absolutely have more! Enjoy the cruise and I’ll do my best to toss you a message once we schedule the next set of classes.

1 Like

Yes, please do another class after the July one. I have a mandatory memorial to attend that weekend. Learning pottery is one of the reasons I’m here. n00b here

1 Like

is there anymore information on the class for these?

Yarn bowl class is still in development…which is a fancy way for me to say it’s still percolating around in my brain. Let me yammer on for a second to get some thoughts out.

Throwing a large, clean bowl is (for the most part) a pretty intermediate level skill that I don’t think could be taught in a handful of sessions. We would need to provide some options for non-throwers that still wanted to make a customized yarn bowl. I was thinking that a few compatriots and I could throw an assortment of bowls in advance. Folks could either bring their own or purchase a greenware (unfired) bowl for a middling fee (to cover clay costs essentially) to use. The 2 part class would focus on styles, cutting and piercing the clay, finishing edges and preparing for bisque (first, lower temp) firing in the first stage. The second class would be about cleaning the bisque, glaze options, glazing technique and preparing for the final glaze (second, higher temp) firing.

I’d like to hear feedback if anyone has thoughts about this plan before I officially schedule it. Looking at end of July/beginning of August (after our experimental macro crystalline and oil spot firing).

If it’s not going to step on toes I can do a slab bowl or a coiling class for the non throwers in the world :slight_smile: I saw we had an extruder back there and was going to check with someone about doing a training on it anyway (offering not taking)

That’d be excellent! We can co-ordinate with timing so folks could hand build their bowl in your class and wrap it up tightly in advance of the yarn bowl phase. Let’s get together to look at scheduling.

We will still throw some bowls for those that are just interested in the modification and finishing aspects.

And also, yes! I noticed the extruder on the floor as well and have been meaning to ask about that. We need to get it up on the wall and in use. It’s a nice one!

If fired arts will buy the materials my classroom one is on a handy dandy cart so we can wheel it in and out of wherever. I’ll be at the space tonight and again this weekend. I have purple hair for the summer so should be relatively easy to spot :wink:

1 Like

The flaw I found in our extruder is that the current plate makes a ginormous coil. Good if you’re making 3 foot tall somethings. Not so good if you wanted to make something smaller. I taught one class with it, and we wound up rolling the resulting coils down finer. I probably need to h/a/r/r/a/s/s convince John K to cut us a smaller die on the laser…

And – if you want to teach slab yarn bowls, that would probably be a better fit for most folks. I’ve made a couple, but mine are tiny. Good for about 1 ball of yarn – not a huge amount. Or coil – that would make a curvier bowl, although it’s more work.

1 Like

What materials? We have boatloads of recycled clay. Veritable boatloads…

1 Like

You did notice that that class is a 4-parter? She’s taken every Sunday afternoon in July. Not sure how she feels about it, but I view my 4-parter as a couple of instruction bits (which do require 2 separate sessions) and tons of practice. And I usually don’t mind folks starting on the 2nd session. Given that you’ve got all month, you could be doing lots of practice during the week.

I am very excited for you to learn how to throw! The class is a structured one that builds on skills each session so attendance for each is important. That said, if it is only one class that you have a scheduling conflict for, I can easily meet up with you during the week for a catch up. If that works for you, please feel free to sign up, just shoot me an email with a reminder and we can schedule something once we are a little closer.

Chris
[email protected]

I have laser cert and multicam. We can do all the things :slight_smile:

2 Likes