Dallas Makerspace Show and Tell - June 2017

Me and my friend actually made this in January but I never got around to posting it. Six computers, one table, many hours of work.

All of the center core was built at Makerspace. Both of the 2 pinwheels consists of 3 blades, each of which hold 2 sets of computer components. The blades are made out of MDF and they slot into the table and the top to be held in place. The table is made up of 4 pieces of 2" x 12" wood joined together then cut to shape. Legs were made from one piece of 4x4 fence posting cut to length and then ripped twice. The top is high grade plywood with holes cut for fans and power/network cables along with notches for the blades and plexiglass. All 6 pieces are cut with a 30 degree edge to fit together nicely (didn’t work quite as well as hoped). The leaf tables were just Ikea bought but did sorta inspire the whole concept.

This was made for my start up gaming lounge Source Gaming in Denton Texas. Wanted to have something unique and eye catching, and the best way to do that is to make it yourself! We documented most of the process in the imgur album posted below (don’t want to clog up this thread with the images). If you want to come by and check it out Source is at 108 W Congress St.

Full concept to reality album

16 Likes

sweet jeebus that’s amazing!

this is a prototype for a class I’m developing for the HAAS because I’m sure those that have built their domino are looking for something else to do. This is obviously a bottle opener but uses a 3d model as an accent. the nice part of this is that the head can be substituted with any other model to customize it. It still needs a bit of effort to make sure it will be functional but at least my concept works. This was made of brass which is all I had on hand. Even if it doesn’t work as a bottle opener, it could easily be adopted to something else like a key ring. More to come as I flesh out the class. cheers!

17 Likes

I made a cat bowl for my cat with his picture on it and experimented with glazes. There were a few successful experiments.

14 Likes

This is what baseball sized hail does to a car’s headlight… so, Robin ordered a replacement assembly off of eBay and we drove up this morning to use the automotive bay.

On the 2012 Mazda 6 you have to take all the screws, trim holders, and press-in rubber stops out from the top of the bumper between the headlights, under the bumper, and in both front wheel wells. Once you do that the front bumper pops off from the clips around the headlight and you can get to the 5 screws holding the light assembly in. After that you have to disconnect a wire harness and the low beam connector.

Once you get the light out you have to transfer a trim piece, one gasket, and the wire harness from the old to the new.

Now she’s ready to go back in! This one is nice and shiny compared to the old one that had over 125K on it.

Sorry for the blurry cell phone pics… her phone is old!

12 Likes

Topre SA profile Spacebars designed by myself
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2379289

This is with an aluminum ABS polished to a mirror finish. Cool how you can see the print lines in the metal powder.

10 Likes

Working on building my own 3D printed quadcopter. Even the propellers are 3D printed. This is just the prototype design we did to check the dimensions but we printed out the arms and the propellers now.

18 Likes

I had a little bit of free time to make the handle riser for the convex/contour tool for the machine shop lathe. The existing configuration would hit the tool post. The riser took it up about 2 1/4" so that “most” hands/fingers will clear the tool post stud. I turned it down from spare 3/4" cold rolled I had laying around.

11 Likes

I just watched mrpete (YouTube) do some nickel plating. Any chance you’d like to try that to keep it rust free?

Tim’s more likely to get some Nickel rod and TIG it all over.

1 Like

We had a second Dopp Kit class last night. 3 of 5 finished and, yet again, we went way over the time planned.

Materials we used

• 3/4 oz brown leather
  • #5 Solid Brass Zippers
  • 1mm Tiger Thread

After many hours of saddle stitching by hand, these guys and gals did a wonderful job with their stitching.

20 Likes

Leather SIG is kicking it with great project classes! Teaching advanced skills and you walk out with something useful.

5 Likes

here is the finished and functional bottle opener I was working on. Moved up from concept to prototype. I’ll be rolling this out in late July or August as a HAAS project class. i want to condition a few other heads so people have a choice on what to do. This combines the 3d toolpathing and 2d toolpathing in one project. cheers!

17 Likes

Annnnd just got around to installing the new turn signal indicators in the cruel-bus

10 Likes

Matching inserts are being made for the tails, I hope. :wink:

3 Likes

Ever consider putting Ship Red/Green running lights on it? And at anchor light (parked), toss out a small anchor for effect.

3 Likes

Pinky and the Brain printed on the Form 2.

19 Likes

YES!
they are my heroes. I’ve pattern my life after their teachings.
NARF!

4 Likes

For quite a while, I have been wanting to try an inlay using the MultiCam CNC but had other projects going. I choose to use the logo of the program I direct at SMU as a “little” test. The board is about 16 inches wide and 6 inches tall made from an oak short and walnut. Didn’t turn out perfectly, but I definitely learned some tips for next time. Biggest lessons are to use a ton of glue and then let it dry with the inlay (the walnut in this case) on the bottom so the majority of the glue runs to the scrap.

After cutting the excess off on the band saw:

Finished product hanging in my office:

22 Likes

I’m pleased to report this passed inspection. My cat Rory can be fairly critical, but he said my hand-stitching lines are nice and straight, and it’s snoggable from multiple angles.

It’s from a great leatherworking class I took last week. Thx @Webdevel!!

20 Likes