Dallas Makerspace Show and Tell - June 2017

you made that by hand??? HOLY CRAP is there a class for that?

It is the most awesome devious bent twisted over-the-top bus conversion I’ve ever seen.

It is inspiring (what it inspires in you and others varies greatly). If the steering wheel were on the right-hand side it would fit right in the Mad Max series.

The patina of rust just enhances its elan in the beholder. There must be a very dark side to the builders and creators - it creeps me out that it has such appeal to me.

7 Likes

congratulations to Ryan Caldwell who cut and finished his HAAS domino project. Looking forward to your next project.

13 Likes

this was my tour night project made to give our ‘tourist’ something to see. its an alien hippy protesting for peace on earth. Somehow he made it here thru Trumps travel ban.

13 Likes

Fathers day end grain cutting board. It was my first project outside of a class in the makerspace!

19 Likes

These are a selection of porcelain pieces thrown at DMS this month ready for glaze. Most of them will be put through the oil spot and crystalline firing planned for July.

21 Likes

Nice work, I love porcelain

Thank you! I’ll work in other clay bodies, but porcelain has turned out to be my favorite.

Specifically, these were thrown in Laguna’s Cone 6 Frost. It was my first time working in this particular clay body and I’m not a fan. It throws well, but has issues with micro cracks randomly forming at further stages in the processes. I’m just not used to that. Research shows this is a quality control issue with the ingredients used and varies from bag to bag. My primary porcelains are Laguna Babu and Trinity’s Arctic (Babu clone) and they don’t suffer from these issues. They are Cone 10 though (I’m coming from a studio that fires primarily Cone 10 redux using gas kilns). Since DMS fires primarily to cone 6 ox I’d like to find one that’s DMS friendly. I’m looking for a porcelain that matures at 6 that is highly translucent. I’ve still got several options to explore, the issue is getting them locally as opposed to having to mail ordering them.

I donated what was left of the frost if anyone wants to mess with porcelain without spending the $$. Last I checked, it’s not even close to throwable condition - it’s way to dry. The bag is in with the rest of the free clay clay bags. I’ll recondition it properly for anyone interested in using it. It’s labeled as cone 6 frost with sharpie. Just grab the bag, then PM me and we’ll make arrangements. I’ll need about a week to get it to workable condition. If you try and use it now, you’ll decide porcelain is awful when in fact it’s the best clay body to work with :yum:

3 Likes