Dallas Makerspace Show and Tell - January 2018

Very nice. I love working with olive wood, too, and I love the smell when you work it. However, I once had a pen blank that was so green that it literally oozed oil when I turned it.

I brought back a couple respectable chunks of olive wood from Bethlehem (roughly 4" dia x 6" long, as I recall). I’m waiting for either of them to speak to me and tell me what they want to become.

1 Like

Made this name placard for a friend:

13 Likes

@aaron Dude, you are awesome! Keep up the good work. You’re inspiring me to do better.

1 Like

Strawberry DNA extraction, also Made Soap, and Essential Oils, great attendance in both classes.

8 Likes

My daughter was hospitalized this past Thursday for Anorexia. I made her this keepsake box for her hospital room while she’s recovering from this insidious illness. Lasered 1/4” MDF with raster settings at 7 power and 160 speed. Cuts at 70 power and 60 speed.

Special thanks to Tommy Thomas for help with the settings. Light

sanding to remove light smoke marks.

23 Likes

This box is beautiful, and such a thoughtful and personalized gift!
I’m just getting into using the lasers. I hope you don’t mind if I ask, Did you create the top design? If so what program did you use?

Thank you,
Anita

1 Like

Hi Anita, thank you. I did not design the top of the box. I really need to buy a new laptop and install design software on it before I can really get going with pure design work. My existing laptop is too old for practical mobility/use.

The box shown is a modified version of a box design I found on Thingiverse.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:515106

2 Likes

Last week, I took the Laser Block Engraving Class taught by Astrud and @Hardsuit. It’s a great example of an interdisciplinary class, using both printmaking and laser. Students submitted an .svg image - the size of a business card - a week before the class. Paul laser engraved printing blocks for us in both the positive and negative image, then sealed them with polyurethane or shellac so the wood wouldn’t soak up the ink and to prevent transfer of the soot.

I created my image using an original black and white photo I took 10 years ago. The frame was purchased off the shelf at Premier Gallery, owned by @TLAR. I highly recommend taking this class. Astrud and Paul are terrific instructors and are so inspiring.

14 Likes

Anorexia is one of the reasons I fight for accurate information on diet, eatting and lifestyple

1 Like

Wow! You made a beautiful print and it looks amazing framed! Great work @heyheymama :clap:

1 Like

Have always been a fan of Rumi’s poetry, so I made this calligraphy in the shape of a swirling dervish. A snippet of the poem I like very much has been translated in english below. Thank you @talkers for the teaching and all your encouragement.

7 Likes

Finished a bar height (42" tall) live edge walnut table. This is the first time I made my own table legs, this customer wanted a table but was on a strict budget and we worked out making legs instead of using the metal legs I usually use. They aren’t amazing but I’m pretty happy with how they turned out, they have a trapezoid shape, 17" wide at the bottom, 14" wide at the top. This table ate more epoxy than any I’ve ever done.

18 Likes

This sounds really neat, but no pics made it through. I get the impression you intended to include pics…

1 Like

What material did you use for the legs?
Looks great!

2x6, just jointed and planed it, stained and finished.

3 Likes

looks great, teach a class on it!

1 Like

Organic cast silver leaf pendant with a moonstone.

Silver ring set with a Blue Moon Turquoise and a trilobite fossil. The gingkos are sawed by hand and the veins are hand engraved. I wanted to pair the trilobite with ginkgo leaf motifs because ginkgos appeared about 250 million years ago before trilobites became extinct.

15 Likes

Ahhh…ginkgos and trilobites. Makes one long for a simpler, happier time.

2 Likes

Results of the CNC (wood shop) class and test.

9 Likes

Not much this month for me. It’s been a very busy month. I was however able to cut some vinyl for some tool kits for work. Thanks to @jphelps & @Kriskat30 for the Help walking back through it. The tool kit when ordered it does not come with any way to store it. So I came up with this.

They are swivel eyes, porta-power & all the necessary tools to tear down our magnetic bearing chillers.
This is what they look like in action.

This is the tensioner that’s used to stretch the stud to then tighten down. My buddy photobombed it with bunny ears.

10 Likes