Dallas Makerspace Show and Tell - January 2018

Post a picture and description of anything you are working on this month at the 'Space here!

It can be anything from a small craft project to a large CNC router project to building a table to 3D printing to a science experiment and so much more. There are lots of people doing cool things at DMS all the time, but most of us don’t get to see it. Post it here and share the interesting things you are doing at Dallas Makerspace this month!

Posting here helps not only promote Dallas Makerspace, but could inspire others to make something. It will also help PR post a monthly look at what can be done here on a blog post (with attribution to each maker of course).

:bulb: NOTE: Please try to include the following on each post, to help make for richer blog content!

• a decent QUALITY photo
  • a notation about WHAT you’ve made
  • WHO you are (for attribution on the blog)
  • HOW you’ve made it
  • and WHY
3 Likes

Inlaid pear and ebony. This one was very interesting to make

13 Likes

I collaborated with Eric Harter @extralanyap on a cutting board project. Using his imagination and my skills with Fusion 360 we “fused” our talents and came up with this design. Below is the model in Fusion 360 and then the real deal out of wood. Cut on the MultiCam.

25 Likes

My aunt and uncle are life-long birders. They identified the pelican for me. It’s lovely to be able to count on family - in a multitude of ways.

The photo layout is a format being used for the Laser Area Chromecast to include a maker’s details. Am going through past Show And Tell threads to archive laser creations as time permits.

10 Likes

I would love to see this and talk with you on how it was turned. Is it still at DMS?
It’s beautiful! :eyes:

1 Like

That is amazing!

I know, I know it deserves a chocolate cake. :woman_facepalming:

1 Like

All that bad boy needs is a big standing rib roast!

5 Likes

Since I missed Christmas and I’ll be seeing my family soon, I made 2 charms for my sister and mother. Making an stl from my niece and nephews signature, resin printing them and putting them in the charms.

16 Likes

This is a piece that I have been working on. My end goal is to do the same puzzle chess board in black granite, but I haven’t decided what I want for the pieces. Maybe they will be maple & walnut, maybe maple & purple heart, ?acrylic? or possibly glass tiles.

Anyway, this is straight off the laser with no cleanup. I need to use some denatured alcohol on the wood to clean up the smoke, then apply a finish…mineral oil or spray lacquer

For now, its a work in progress, but I like what I have so far.

14 Likes

Chocolate cake! Mmmmm…

Rib Roast… Mmmmm…

Please feel free to flip this and bake me a cake :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Anita

The cake is a lie…

4 Likes

Confoundit!
This is Show & TELL. Not Show & TEASE!
Outwithit!
:slight_smile:

2 Likes

@jast you don’t know how close I came to falling out of my chair laughing at your reply… :smiley: :smiley:
:party_on:

2 Likes

Thanks denzuko :you_are_super:

From half of a used horseshoe to a usable hoof pick in less than 10 minutes. The induction furnace is pretty cool for working on small blacksmithing parts.

9 Likes

Don’t think we don’t see what you did there…
Great demo!

1 Like

I finally got around to making a food bowl riser for my dog with left over wood from a Christmas present. I love the look of the food bowls and stand I have, but it was a little too short for him after he got closer to full grown :slight_smile:

After a lot of measuring, I cut the plywood to size in the wood shop, and cut the notches the existing bowl fits into on the table saw.

Also found a stain that matched the original bowl pretty well.

He’s enjoying it already!

Next thing will be to make a matching stand for his extra water bowl.

14 Likes