Dallas Makerspace Show and Tell - January 2018

I was going to be very upset if you had all that buildup and no dog picture, but you didn’t less us down!

6 Likes

I’m pretty sure I’m incapable of talking about my dog without also showing a picture :laughing:

6 Likes

Thanks, Francesca for the Leather Dyeing Workshop! It was fun and very informative! :). Here’s a picture of mine and the everyone else’s from class. I thought it was cool to see the different color results :). Thanks again!! :slight_smile:

13 Likes

Made a modular wall system for my girl. Hope I was able to upload the pics properly.

21 Likes

Neat. And thanks for all the in-progress pics

2 Likes

Uber cool. plus 20 characters

1 Like

another successful domino project done. Congratulations to Joseph Ortega. now on to his own real project.

6 Likes

here is a 3d carving I did for a customer. he wanted it repeatable so I made a silicon mold and resin cast it. Where did I learn that? DMS of course!

IMG_1814IMG_1922

13 Likes

made slime, teaching classes in a week or so on it.

7 Likes

Some of the results from the complex cloth print class:

13 Likes

My Granddaughter makes that stuff by the gallon. Glitter is a nice touch.

Russell Ward

2 Likes

Gift for my dad. Thanks @Webdevel for teaching me how to make it. :slightly_smiling_face:

15 Likes

Turned pen using skills taught by @talkers and a hand-stitched case based off skills taught by @Webdevel. Not bad for a Sat night.

Wenge wood with gunmetal fittings, and goat skin leather.

11 Likes

My first foray into using the laser. Peacock & Cherry Blossoms on Walnut
I made 3 of them. The first I left as is. The second I used fingernail polish and swarovski crystals
and haven’t decided what to do for the third.

20 Likes

Outstanding, especially for first attempt. I expect my first attempt at doing wood lasing will include experiencing smoke inhalation and active use of the CO2 extinguishers.

6 Likes

This is my first foray into using a laser. A friend of mine invited me to a 50th anniversary celebration. I’ve known him for more than 30 years and I wanted to make hims something special. He and his wife are wonderful people so I wanted to commemorate their 50th with something unique.

I’ve also hiked the New Mexico mountains for years with him and some other men from our church and I learned that he loves things made of solid wood.

My wife knows that I like making pens so she suggested I make them a pair. I chose Bethlehem olive wood since we are both Christians and they’ve been to the holy land and to Bethlehem. The large Cuban model is for him and the smaller Slimline is for her.

My son designed the laser graphic and I lasered it on a pen case I purchased at Rockler.

It was a great project and I think I got my son interested in using the laser as a side benefit.

18 Likes

The intent is to make this like Duolingo’s TinyCards, but for software developers learning code. It’s built with Ruby on Rails, with a React front-end. A mobile app will be made using React Native, and all this is due in part to @Kirk_Keeter teaching his Rails/React course in the Fall 2017. The reason I’m making this web and mobile app is to strengthen my own skills while giving back to the larger community of software development students.

You can follow the project at https://github.com/chemturion/rubystems

6 Likes

Very nice work. I love working with olive wood.

Thanks for the compliment. I really enjoy working with olive wood, too. It has its own distinct odor when turned and it cuts and turns easily. I hope my friend and his wife love the gift as much as I enjoyed making it.

Anytime I catch a sale on olive wood I usually buy it. It doesn’t have to be the Bethlehem variety either. Beautiful stuff.

1 Like

Surprised my son with tickets to Hamilton by laser etching this replica dueling pistol. Getting the thing level, and aligned was a chore, but it came out nice. He was thrilled.

BTW, anyone using the laser should know how to download to the laser instead of just printing. It is the only way to draw a bounding box. Really helps for aligning odd shaped items.

12 Likes