Dallas Makerspace Show and Tell - January 2017

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: POLSER and More

5 posts were split to a new topic: Bad Break - Great Timing & Location - Ingenious MAKER Fix

A post was split to a new topic: POLSER and More

Lol yes and yes. The Polser Polarbears, in Texas…

2 Likes

I’m guessing you’ve never encountered the Hutto Hippos from central Texas… :smiley:

I updated the experimental veneer ring I made last week with a band of wafer thin (0.004in) copper that I flattened from a piece of old electrical wiring.

Gives it a lot more character :slight_smile:

18 Likes

Made the colorful metal thingy in larger pic, an adaptation of a simple fiber tool, a “diz” (disk with hole, this is mini-version used in non-standard way) to solve a fussy fiber prep problem.

(Longer explanation/blather) :slight_smile:
So I’m still experimenting with best prep for smooth spinning on my Tibetan support spindle with this tiny short very fine Finn lamb’s fleece. It’s delicate and short and normal prep methods just created tangles. So now I’m using a hybrid tool/method that is working well where I load entire edge of cotton card, and diz a roving off like from combs. For it to work, I needed a smaller diz with smaller hole. So of course now I had a flimsy excuse to get out tools and make one :slight_smile:

For the non-fibery folks, a diz is a disk with a small hole that is used in conjunction with wool combs to prepare fleece for spinning. The combs straighten out the fleece and get the junky bits out, then use diz to gradually pull off the fiber into a long poofy rope ready for spinning.

So meet my new mini diz, folks. It’s made from a piece of brass sheet where I’d been experimenting scribing hypotrochoidal forms, some sawing, then a little filing, a metal hole punchy gadget, some more filing, some hammering and dapping, and a dose of alcohol inks…voila!

10 Likes

We had another metal pen making class last night. Everyone was very engaging which makes it fun for me too. No one was hurt in the rock/paper/scissor death match at the end and the lone survivor was @jphelps who won the pen.

12 Likes

Built a quick stool for some kids that couldn’t reach the sink to brush their teeth :slight_smile:

15 Likes

Made some little yard signs.

14 Likes

Thanks @kyrithia for sharing this and for taking the extra time to write up the context for non-spinners like myself to better follow what you did.

3 Likes

Finally applied my granddog’s food container tag. This was my hands on, don’t forget what i learned after vinyl cutter class, project.
Tool chain:
Random jpg example from the internet
Gimp: remove name with clone stamp
VinylMaster: vectorize bitmap, add text, and cut

10 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Off-siting Delayed due to Tornado Watch (will resume when rain stops)

17 Likes

Made a dueling Tree at DMS

10 Likes

200 Dye sublimation dog tags for Frisco ISD. Much appreciation to @CaryF300 for assistance with procurement of tags.

14 Likes

One of the batteries wouldn’t release from tool, so I took it apart and removed the broken piece of plastic that was jamming it

Doocracy in action, don’t have to wait to get permission, if you have an idea that you think will benefit DMS go ahead and do it. Now the battery is useable again

9 Likes

Wasn’t at the space, but I haven’t been able to do much at the space on the personal project level.

I did get to implement a makery solution for my grandparents though. Grandma couldn’t get the front door unlocked easily so she wanted me to change the locks on the house. I thought that was a little overboard so I turned to my printer for help.

the offending lock.

Made a quick model and set about printing it as a test.

now easier to grab and with the lever takes less force to turn. Will probably re make soon with a nicer look and a set screw to really keep it in place.

11 Likes

Saturday I took a laser and leather class taught by @apparently_weird JJ Perry. It was a great class as he took the class from concept, to design using Inkscape, importing into Adobe Illustrator, cutting the leather on the Thunder laser and finally sewing it all together. I had to leave a little early due to some family commitments but I stitched and finished it at home.

I chose to dye mine a medium to dark brown and finish it with some Obenauf’s Leather Oil. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002Q907QU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The oil was recommended by @bitta and JJ and I didn’t have any at home so I bought some from Amazon. (I love the one day delivery service with Amazon Prime.)

Below are some pictures of the finished product. Thanks for teaching the excellent class JJ. I wished we’d have made the pen keeper holes larger as I would use one of the slimline pens I’ve made with it. The good news is I can modify the design for the next one.

18 Likes

We have Obenhauf’s Leather Oil in the cabinet…but glad you got some for use at home. I love that stuff. Will be getting some Obenhauf’s LP sometime soon for CA as well.

1 Like